Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Happy May Day - QOV show

Sometimes I think I get focused on making sure we have enough quilts, that I sometimes forget that there are those who have never been thanked, recognized, or even welcomed home.

I work with a group of amazing men, and their counselors. They are truly a wonderful group - they include veterans from all wars, and the majority of them continue to struggle with Post Traumatic Stress is some way, shape or form. 

On one particular visit, there were two - new to me faces - and I asked them if they knew about Quilts of Valor. They said they had heard of them, but did not possess one. Lucky me, I was able to remedy that. 

However, since they knew what a QOV was ( they told me!!!) I decided that my presentation had to be a bit different. So I explained to them more about who the makers of their quilts were - how they became to be involved in QOV, and how, in fact, one maker had lost her son in Iraq, so it was a personal mission as well.

And then I asked, ( if any of you work with PTSD you know you ALWAYS ASK) if I could wrap them in their quilt. As I wrapped, and subsequently got a hug, the two veterans in their quilts, I thanked them for their service, and told each one of them Welcome Home.

In case you were wondering - the Welcome Home started the water works. Neither of these fine gentlemen had ever been told Welcome home. - ever!  I was honored to be the one to Welcome them home, as well as wrap them with a wonderful Quilt.





PS the quilt on the left was made by Pat and quilted by Donna, the right - Elsie, and Lois made. Cool huh!! Labels are SOOOO important!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Awarding a QOV with a "Welcome Home, soldier" is one of the most rewarding experiences. It lets that little bit of light into darkness with the hope of flooding them with light. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh Alycia - what a dear post today, and looking at those big strong guys, LOVingly wrapped in gifts of love caused me to feel all emotional as well. Keep up the beautiful work. I am also noticing they have the pillow case to go with them. 8-))

Missy Shay said...

What a great story and great way to help them feel loved!

Rhonda said...

Beautiful post. It was amazing to read that neither guy had even been welcomed home. I'm so happy you were able to remedy that. Warmed my heart!!

Snowcatcher said...

My gosh, you brought tears to my eyes with this. How wonderful they let you wrap them and photograph them, too. What a great emotional boost on yet another snowy day...

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful idea! (Welcome Home) I was tearful just reading about your ceremony. I have finished my 20th QOV and take most of them to my hometown in MO and have a formal presentation ceremony at the Veterans' Home in Warrensburg. This year will be my 4th annual- By making personal presentations, I can put "God Bless America" on my quilts, and I do! :>)

Kevin the Quilter said...

Great! Now I am sniffling! ANGEL! ANGEL! ANGEL!

phxquilt said...

I was so moved by your story about the presentation and your welcoming them home. At the USO they close every communication with a statement...."Until Everyone Comes Home" Coming home can take many forms. You just gave voice to one form.

Marilyn Kucera said...

This brought tears to my eyes reading it. What a wonderful way to express our love and appreciation to these warriors. You could tell from the looks on their faces how grateful they were and how they could feel the love.
Keep up this great work you do.
Marilyn

Kate said...

What you do is a wonderful, amazing gift to these men.