Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Happy Half Square Block ELEVEN

 Holee buckets my stack is growing!!!

The block I made this week is a little busy to me - but I approached it a different way.

I just made 16 half square blocks and then started laying them out to see what I liked.... and as busy as they are... I really liked this one!




as you can see I alternated between light and dark geese - and I think that If I made this block repeatedly I would lay the quilt out like:
BUT! I would probably made Blue/Light blocks and REd/Light blocks....

I think.....




This is just striaght up - and you know - I could see this one as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.... all Colorful!!



This one was not mine, nor Kat's favorite.... but you now know what on point looks like!




or what if you alternated a block???




Check out what Chris is doing:
I like her idea - and I like the border idea!!




Alright - On to block Twelve!! Wish me luck!!

PS!! To see all of the blocks there is a tab at the top of the blog or   https://alyciaquilts.blogspot.com/p/happy-half-square-project.html


10 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

While not my favorite block, I really like the idea of a rainbow quilt from them. LOVE what Chris did with the layout!

Rebecca Grace said...

Amazing how many different designs you can create with simple HSTs, isn't it? I think your on point layout has potential, but I'd change up the orientation of the geese so they were all pointing the same direction, zigzagging through the quilt, to give your eye a path to follow. Happy Half Square Stitching!

Bonnie said...

Looks great. I quit doing these because the old fabric I had ran out.... and I got busy doing other things. Think raccoon or squirrel!

Denise @fortheloveofgeese said...

I really like the on point layout. Your blocks look great.

Delighted Hands said...

Very nice to see the two color opposition like that. I do like flying geese in the border-very nice.

Barob Book Blog said...

I agree that the on point version isn’t the best. May if you added two geese to the setting triangle to carry the pattern a bit further it may add to the attractiveness and cut down on the stark points. Just a suggestion! All in all Alycia, I love making these blocks! Since my blocks have such variety in background I am loving the setting ideas you post. Many more veterans will be hugged in scrappiness.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Oh boy! I like this one!

chrisknits said...

Another block to put into my EQ8 mock up!!! So much fun, hmm, I wonder how I will color this block.

Kate said...

Another set of fun quilt ideas. Which I really don't need right now. It's hard to be good and mostly stick to the strait and narrow of finishing off UFOs.

Susan said...

Thanks for another great block idea. I do like layout one, but I also like it on point. And maybe alternating rows up and rows down in the straight up and down one?