Monday, September 07, 2020

Greek Key Log Cabin is growing!!

I was so inspired by all your interest last week - I just had to sit down and keep stitching on this one ... I want to see what it is going to become!!


I have all the ones I cut now put into blocks - and I think!! I want at least 6 more blocks.... ( maybe more... I get wishy washy haha)


I added some Red Plaids in there too - I think they add interest... 


A lot of you asked which die... well - do NOT look at all the other piles of stuff... I am not a clean quilter - but this is the die - it was called a Log Cabin Block on board.  So I cut one layer of white with one layer of the dark to make the whole block... 

and I laid them out in a baking pan by number!!  But then I got wise and realized I could cut 4 lights , and then 4 darks, lay them out by number, and not have to separate pieces when I got to sewing more than one block!

Now!! A few of you said you were digging in and making this one - 1 I demand photos... and 2. Do NOT rub it in if you finish before me ( promise?? ha ha)

Also - Colorado is ON FIRE

We can see the smoke from the fire on the western side... ( as well as the one just north east of us) but Saturday night that west fire just Blew up - the sunset was kind creepy!





I am off to golf a little this morning - then come back and cut Six more blocks!!! Sounds like a great Labor Day right? 

Linking up to:

Design Wall Monday  at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

Monday Making  at Love Laugh Quilt

What I made Monday at Pretty Piney

17 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Ooh, those fires are scary, but the skies ... Hope you play well today. Get your fun in before the big freeze hits this week!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

That looks like a FUN block!
Yikes on the fires! Praying for ya'll, as well as the firefighting crews. We're really dry here too, but we don't even have enough grass to feed a fire.
Be safe!

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, yeah! The blocks are really coming along and they look great together! Sorry about the fires-I was just watching it on the news, in fact. Enjoy your day!

Nann said...

Hope you are safe from the fires, Alycia......looks as though you've discovered the "key" to sewing the blocks efficiently!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your quilt blocks are coming along nicely! and who doesn't love plaid in a quilt!!!

Vicki W said...

I love these blocks! Great photos too. Very eerie.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Very intrigued by this idea - not right now, though. IF I do one, I will definitely send photos.

Kim said...

Oh, your quilt is so clever....so cool! Hope you are far from those fires.

Sandy said...

I’ve never seen that quilt pattern. And you’re making it with log cabin strips? Brilliant! I really like the red plaid ones. Yes that is one creepy sunset! Stay safe ...

WeedyMama said...

Eastern Washington state is on fire too.

Will be interested to see where that Greek maze takes you.

Vicki in MN said...

I am sure glad we all gave you encouragement on your last post as this is a great looking quilt. I think I will order the die today! Hope those fires get put out quickly, it's just so sad and dangerous.

Sherrill said...

I remember the spring/summer that we moved to Pagosa. There were a couple of fires and one was near enough that the sky was smoky and smelly for a couple of weeks or so. We drove over to Durango one day and the fairgrounds there were COVERED in pup tents for the firefighters--it was bad!

Kathleen said...

Looking good and that die is a perfect help. So sorry about the fires!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super spooky sunset, Alycia! I really like your addition of red plaid in your Greek Key quilt. That changes it from predictable to exciting.

Suzanne said...

Is the pattern the same die as the log cabin or a different one?

Turid said...

I've never done log cabin like that. It's so interesting. I love that you change the colors through the quilt.

Bonnie said...

I'm hoping the snow/rain may have suppressed the fires. The news continues to be so awful these days. I really like your Greek Key version of a log cabin. Someday I may have to get that die. But, first I have a few that I've never used and I need to use those first! Take care.