Monday, June 05, 2023

The Purple Hawaiian aka Number 5

 I think this quilt has finally made me run out of my Hawaiian 5 inch squares....

I still have some yardage - but I was saving that for the backs.




Ta da!!! Kinda wish I had enough to make circles all the way down - but! I think it looks pretty good with the leftovers!!

We might have made a quick trip to Hawaii in all of this craziness. We have a Marine friend who was stationed on Oahu, and we got to stay with him and explore the island a bit before he got re-stationed.




I had already made Dash To Hawaii ( the quilt) but when we got to Oahu... we saw Shirts!!!! And I just knew that I would be making more things with my Hawaii Squares... I would NOT put them away!



On one of our hikes.... I do have to tell you... Humidity is not a friend of someone with really ( really) Curly hair.... I would straighten it in the morning ( easier to put it in a ponytail) and by the time I got to the car.... oh boy!! 

Linking up to:

13 comments:

Bonnie said...

What fun to go on a spur of the moment trip to Hawaii. (Or at least it sounded a bit spur of the moment!) Hawaii is humid but it has the nice trade winds to cool folks down too. And, the afternoon shower. Looking forward to more Hawaiian shirt quilts. Is that a penguin in that shirt??

Kathleen said...

Great quilt and I think it looks just fine the way it is. A fun side trip to Hawaii sounds perfect. My son just came back from his second trip, I am tempted but my husband is not....maybe someday I will convince him.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

My hair has NOT been the same since living in Hawaii - it's still curly now even living in the dry desert. Although we did have a lot of rain this winter. I really like Purple Hawaii, it's fun to see some sawtooth stars get created as the blocks come together.

Delighted Hands said...

What a great time of year to head to Hawaii! the view is fantastic! The quile is fantastic--we aren't tired of them yet!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Your quilt is pretty. I've ended up with a pile of hawaiian fabrics that I've been toying with the idea of using. I think I definitely should make a quilt from them.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I love this just like it is, Alycia! Love that Hawaiian fabric! Sounds like a fun quick trip! So nice of your friend to let you stay there before he was restationed. Love the penguin in the shirt! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!

Vicki W said...

What a treat. I hope you had a fabulous vacation!

AnnieO said...

Tropical air is always moist!
Cute quilt with the Hawaiian fabrics. I hope you put your straightener to the side after the first day's attempt :)

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I love how the Hawaiian fabrics pop off that dark background. I think colors for background are more interesting than white so many quilts use. Looks great and glad you had a fun trip.

Kate said...

Love that purple with the teal, it's very bright and fun. My Guy has a Hawaiian shirt collection, quite extensive. He likes shirts that are the louder the better.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful quilt, and will be a fun memory of your trip! I haven't been to Hawaii, but it's on my bucket list. I have really curly hair, too - you should see it when we go to Oregon!

Melva said...

I love that color combo. Our girls went to HI while in Girl Scouts almost 20 years ago. They bought me stacks of 7" tropical prints. I still have a good amount of them.

Preeti said...

Bright and bold in both color and the choice of Hawaiian prints, but the best part of this blogpost is the picture of you!!! Hugs.