Friday, June 16, 2023

A Quilted Memory and !!! Finished ( or not) Friday!!!!

I actually have a finish this week, but I am pre-empting it with this Quilt Memory!!

To me this is a very Happy Memory and I am excited that the Memory is passing on to the next generation - but you know it has to start with... My Mom passed away.... Cuz you know - that's how a lot of memories get passed down.  So put your happy face on!!

My mother ( Sue) had Breast Cancer many years ago. One day we were out shopping and we found this Heaven Can Wait Breast Cancer Fabric line... we are talking 2006 long ago. Well - Mom was a 5 year Survivor by then and she was doing everything she could to make sure it didn't come back.

The name of the Fabric Line *Heaven Can Wait* Tickled her fancy. While she knew she was going to Heaven - she had 5 grandkids and wasn't quite ready yet - she needed to spoil them and fill them with orneriness and let them pick on their parents ( like me!)

 


I used the Turning Twenty Again Quilt pattern and I quilted it with an all over design - and gave it to her for Christmas. 


Everytime I made a quilt for someone in the family - my Mom got so excited, and then she would say - well I want one too. So!! Now I have my own quilts, and the ones I made for her! 


I decided to spread the love on this one and asked my Niece if she thought she might like it - and she very quickly piped up and said I DO!!!!

Check out that Pieced Backing... I love making pieced backings - but in the interest of time on my QOV's  - I find myself using a lot of wide backs for them... Glad I take the time on our personal ones - kind of fun to see the backs too.


So this Quilt is heading off to my Niece - she will love it and hopefully have some good memories of Grandma Sue too!   ( Ps my niece is an adult - so she is very sentimental about family things ❤💕❤

The Margarita Clip can be found here Margarita Clips


And now!!!
It is your turn to link up those finishes or not finishes!! and brag away!

How many of you visit every link up? There is A LOT of great eye candy out there!!!

Please link your direct post!!
and I would love a link back - get everyone inspired to finish things!!


******************Link Up ****************************

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
****************************The End************** go back to quilting *********************

Find me at all these places:

    
Etsy           Instagram           Facebook

18 comments:

Katy Sweigart said...

So sorry about losing your mom. But I’m happy for you that her quilts are being passed down and loved.

Cathy said...

Ah, memories! And your mom lives on in heart and mind.

And, Oh, I remember that Turning Twenty pattern and made a quilt similar to that!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love the Turning Twenty Again pattern and recently made another. Wonderful that your niece is excited to receive your mom's quilt!!!

chrisknits said...

How wonderful that these memories can be passed down to the next generation. And it is a lovely quilt, looks so vintage.

Momma Llama said...

My deepest condolences on the passing of your mother. Memories made during a lifetime and the joy and happiness of a life well lived, sustain us.

So pleased to know that your niece wanted the quilt that you made for your mother. Made with love, filled with memories, and gifted with both love and memories, the quilt will be treasured.

Pieced backings, yes, please. I feel that they add extra interest to the quilt. I have used extra blocks as well as fabric piecing for scrappy backings.

Linda said...

What a beautiful memory, and I'm sure your Mom treasured it. And what a great thing to do for your niece! It has a cozy vintage feel to it - I love it!

Anne-Marie said...

Thanks for sharing your story. 💕

Linda Swanekamp said...

The best quilts are the ones with the best stories, even if bittersweet. Thanks for a difficult share.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am sure your niece is going to treasure this. And what a gift to be able to pass on these memories and the quilts!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Alycia, this is such a heartwarming story. What memories these fabrics and the quilt has and such a treasure to share with your niece.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That quilt is SEW sweet, Alycia! Such a thoughtful gift your niece, too.

Vicki W said...

Ehat a lovely gift to pass on!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Alycia, that's a wonderful memory quilt and I'm sure that your niece will love it. Thanks for sharing - many of us probably have a few quilts that came back to us in that way. Take care.

Kate said...

What a great memory to pass on to someone who will really love it.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

How wonderful that you shared your mom's quilt with your niece. I am sure she will treasure it!

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a beautiful gesture to pass on the quilt you made lovingly for your Mom and created happy memories even though there is sadness also in the memories,

Gypsy Quilter Designs said...

What a treasure this quilt is. How lucky in that you were able to share with your mom a wonderful gift.

San / Gypsy Quilter Designs

Delighted Hands said...

What a beautiful quilt story! Quilts are made for sharing and passing along.