Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Day 2 of the Crazy weekend

 The next day - I headed south for another presentation. The weather alerts were pinging, the skies were dark - and I thought - I picked a good day to be inside!!!

This group was a VFW group - I have been there 3 other times to award quilts, so when I walked in - I got recognized!!! Too much fun!

When I do presentations I usually ask for a little bio about the Veteran - some provide it, some don't. And its okay - but I knew most of these guys - so I might have taken a little creative liberty... and those Vets that did not give me a bio... I MADE IT UP!!!


And I had them in stitches.... it was hilarious - the gentlemen 3rd from the right? I told the story of him being out on his Navy Ship and he snored so bad they made him sleep on the deck.... so while he was out on the deck he started trying to learn the constellations - and that's why were are stars in his quilt.

He snarkily told me its called a carrier - to which I responded - not if its my story - you were on a boat - a 19 foot sail boat.. and he got the giggles!!

Now - please know - they all agreed to let me make up the stories - I would never want to dishonor or embarrass a one of them. A few of them piped up with their own stories to share and it was a wonderful night.

Two of them were grandfathers of two people there  - and they asked if they could do the wrapping of the quilts - and OF COURSE... but the tears... you all - it was just SO sweet!!!

 The quilt on the far Right was one I made

Pat P, Charlene , Ethel, Josephine, Crystal JoDee, Connie, Nancy H, Karen, Sue, Mary, Kim and Laura all had a hand in making up the rest of them!!! What a SUPER great team of awesome quilters - pieces, , machine quilters - and!! Binders!!!!!


Now I need to go make more quilts!!!

12 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It sounds like you know how to get them talking! :)

Linda Lafford said...

Great story Alycia. Thank you for all you do.
Linda Lafford

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sounds like a fun awards time.

Kathleen said...

Such gorgeous quilts, happy faces, and fun stories! Thanks for sharing, making some of the quilts and honoring these vets!

sue s said...

I think your stories are really a treat, instead of a "boring" ceremony! The quilts are all beautiful too. Thanks for what you do.

Susan said...

For more stories like that one, you need to make lots of quilts. I loved this so much, and love that you gave them a great time - not only recognition, but just fun, being treated normally and having a good time. Thank you for that, from a veteran.

Delighted Hands said...

Joyful tears over this post--just beautiful!

patti leal said...

loved your presentations. love the stories also. all seemed to be moved and happy. thanks for sharing. patti in florida

Jonnie in SC said...

These QOV presentation ceremonies are truly awesome. They cause leaky eyes for the presenters, and sometimes the veterans too. If you have never been to one, you truly should attend one in your community. And if you have never made, or helped to make, a QOV quilt, you definitely should do that! God bless our Veterans!

berylthepearl said...

Alycia you are a real treasure and I thank you for allowing me to contribute quilts.

Vicki W said...

What a great service you provide to our heros!

Preeti said...

Thank you for sharing this heart-warming and cheek-wetting post. Their smiles say it all. Yes, you need to make more quilts. Let me know if I can help in any way! Big Hugs to you.