Wednesday, June 14, 2023

South Dakota

 Sticking with my Military theme this week...

A dear friend of ours passed away - so we headed up to Wyoming and South Dakota to attend his funeral.



Jon Served in the Army. He graduated as a Distinguished Honor Grad at Ft Eustis, VA - and he served as an AH1 Attack Helicopter mechanic. He served over seas during Desert Storm

My Husband  Knew Jon since they were itty bitty - like 5 years old. I had the privilege of meeting him when I met my husband.  He was the Ultimate joker - and I loved trying to keep up with him.


I got to have a different relationship with him than those who knew him forever, we had the Military in common - not that I served... but that I helped comfort or Veterans with Quilts of Valor - he was intrigued. And we spent ALOT of time talking about his service, and what he saw, lost, and hurt from.

The Quilt above was the Quilt of Valor that we presented to him. He said I made his eyes leak....



Jon's Funeral was in Sundance Wyoming - so we took the scenic route to get to my Inlaws and crash with them for the night....


Oh ya - You know I took my camera - and made the Man Drive!!! ( he is pretty good at pulling over at an *Oh look* exclamation!!)



I Love Rainbows - Proof of God's Promise to the Earth... and also - pretty comforting knowing what we were headed to.

The Funeral was held in Sundance, WY - and then we all got in our cars and took an hour drive to Sturgis SD, to the Black Hills National Cemetery. Being Military Jon was honored to be Buried there.
And I know - in my heart - that that provided comfort to the family.




(Doesn't that look like an old western film set ? ⬆  )

One of the things Jon was SO proud of was his Children - and his grandkids!!! His Son followed in his footsteps and serves in the Army. 

it was a sad but beautiful day. I believe he was Honored . and I was so happy that I had been able to present him a Quilt of Valor ( 2015) So he got a lot of use out of it!

Then we traveled home:



I think the photo below was the perfect last photo of the day..... we had a good laugh!!

This quote has stuck with me these last few years - Losing my Parents, my dog, and now my friend..

They say you die twice.  One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.

I hope his family and friends will continue to share their memories of Jon and keep his legacy alive.


Linking to 


10 comments:

Kate said...

So sorry for your loss of a good friend. The photos of the drive are pretty spectacular and I had a good giggle on the last one. I wonder how many really remember the Beverly Hillbillies these days?

Carlie said...

Ditto everything Kate just wrote. Carlie

Mari said...

Oh, Alycia. . .great pictures, but I'm so sorry for the reason you were there. It's been a hard year for you. I do remember the Beverly Hillbillies, and sometimes I think I feel myself turning into Granny. Thank goodness I don't look like her yet! Take care.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a beautiful post (including the barn photos and the rainbow). I love the part you shared at the end about dying twice. And that final photo - oh, yes!

Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful photos to go with beautiful thoughts of Jon and losing someone in general. Hugs.

Vicki W said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful person!

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

I love the black and white photos

Anonymous said...

Indeed, a wonderful tribute. So different from your QOV presentations (like Day2 below!). Love your photos - all of them. Thanks for sharing with us.

dee Nambiar said...

Hi Alycia,
So sorry to hear about your friend. May he rest in peace.
That quote you shared at the end of the post is quite deep! I think I'll remember that quote for a long time, now.

Btw, those are some lovely pictures from your drive. :)

Linda said...

Oh my goodness, you just made me cry (or my eyes leaked) with that quote! Your post is a beautiful tribute to a great man, and I LOVE your photography. I have a feeling I'd go nuts pulling over everywhere if we ever go north like that. I particularly love that first barn/rain b&w photo - it should be framed, really.