Monday, June 19, 2023

Layer Cake Loop from FQS... sort of

I might have been dilly dallying - or procrastinating - or hiding from the 4 thousand 3 hundred and 62 million days of rain....But!!! I found a free pattern at Fat Quarter Shop called Layer Cake Loop - and I thought... hey... I have layer cakes... or at least I have a bucket of 10 inch squares.....


And so I downloaded the pattern..... FQS Layer Cake Loop pattern

Then the rain stopped ,so I went back to quilting. ( oh yes - the rain has been accompanied by Lightening - so I turn my Long Arm off for that)

But as I was quilting - I was pondering.... for the LCL you CUT every piece...... and I thought - well I wonder if I can do it without cutting a LOT.... 

and I DID IT!!!! So each of my blocks measured 14 1/2 inches... I didn't cut down the layer cakes to the 8 1/2 like they suggested... but my blocks still looked this theirs!!!  GO me!! No Scraps!!!




So I figured out how to make 20 blocks and I think I used 34 ( or maybe 35) Layer cake squares... and Ta Da!!!

This is what is up on my design wall.... and I keep moving blocks around..
 



And moving them around more..... and sooner or later - I will get them into a top!!
but I get sidetracked... Look who came to say Hi!!!!




And she heard a rumor that a NEW MYSTERY QUILT 4 MILITARY might be in the works.....

Maybe to start somewhere in the month of August..... and it is a fun one...

If you are interested - it will be run thru my Email group here: Mystery Quilts 4 Military 

It will be QOV sizes ( 60 x 80) and it will be fun and easy...... BUT!!! It will be run on the Email group - I have too many things to post about here on my blog - and you all are my therapy people haha!!! 


Linking to:

8 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Oh I like your new quilt in progress, I'll have to check out that pattern!

Nann said...

Interesting block! Please send that rain northeast to us.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

So smart to keep the layer cake at the full 10" square. I really like the calm tones of your palette and I hope that the rain (and lightning) haven't been too bad.

abelian said...

That's a great idea to leave the squares at 10" There's no point in cutting them down and then dealing with the scraps. Dot

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

We could use some of that rain here! Looks like you used your down time well; I like where you're going with this project.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Oh how fun, Alycia!! I really like that pattern. We've been getting a lot of rain here too and for the near future will continue! At least it's not a total wash out. Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings.

Sara said...

That's a terrific use of layer cake pieces!

Delighted Hands said...

Nice to bend those layer cakes to your will! The new top arrangements look great! (and exciting to look forward to the next Mystery QOV!)