Friday, January 26, 2024

The Ohio Star for QOV and !! Finished ( or not) Friday

 Happy Friday!!!

This week has just screamed right past me!!! I get up each day, look at my list, go to bed and night and wonder why more things haven't been checked off!!!

Solution - Make a shorter list!! haha!!!

My first one - just to make sure I could do it!


QOV has chosen the Ohio Star Block as their National Block for 2024...

( Info and pattern HERE) 

For our next sew day we thought we would sort through our scraps and maybe make a few - but then I got to thinking... what are some of the best ways to Lay out a block like this?

I played a bit in my EQ 8 and here are a few ideas I came up with:  ( PS that minty is supposed to be Light Blue)




This was my first thought - and then I remembered that a lot of people don't like Flying Geese. I told my husband that and he said " well they are dumb"

Me: No - we can't say that.

Him : Why?

Me: Because there are blocks that I don't like and I'm not dumb

Him : How do you know your not dumb?

Me : I married you.

Him:  I'll go do chores now..... you win. 


But I still do like that layout:

and then I played around and tried this one:

And my eyes hurt.



So I added sashing and borders   
and came up with Number 3:

My eyes Don't hurt as bad



but then!!!!! I added a super simple block - colored it very simply and!!
This is my Winner!!!
I want to make something like this

I think it would even look good scrappy!!




And that is all going to count as my Not Finished Friday!!! as i will be working on these blocks here and there - probable as Leader/Enders for a while...


What is UP in your world!!!  Link up - show us what is Finished (or not) and brag away!!!






***********************link up here *******************



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
*******************The end***********************

See you Wednesday for CLUE #3!!! of Stars Like Spaghetti!!!

Find me at all these places:

    
Etsy           Instagram           Facebook

18 comments:

Kate said...

Playing in EQ can be so addictive. You came up with some very fun options to set that block. I like the flying geese version just because it's really different. And no, I don't like flying geese, but they are better than HSTS!

Kat Scribner said...

I like your quilt design !! The ohio star block seems to be my favorite star block. The middle row reminds me of arms stretching out for a hug.

Jenny K. Lyon said...

The last layout is a winner!Chuckled over the conversation with Hubby:-)

Linda said...

Oh I like your winner! You can't go wrong with a good Ohio Star. I actually like that middle rendition AND the flying geese version. Lol on your convo with your hubs. :D

Sara said...

Awesome layout options! I really like the first one and the last one. No you have me thinking about these for our local group.

grammajudyb said...

Thanks for the info about the QOV National Block for 2024. And I much prefer it with sashings or the alternate hourglass block! Looking forward to your blocks!

Janice said...

Good Morning Alycia.
Like all the designs.
What are your measurements for Hourglass block?

Vivian said...

I am there with you about the week flying by, not to mention the month is almost over too!! Thanks for the info about the 2024 QOV block. I remember doing "Just One Star" for MODA years ago and loved that so may try to do some of these this year. Loving all the layouts but particularly the ones with the FG (I'm in the fan camp) and the Hourglass blocks. With that I'm popping out to go pick up Clue #2 of the mystery and will calendar #3 for Wednesday so I remember to pick it up early!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I taught my church group flying geese Wednesday and most were not excited to make them. I also think many quilters avoid quarter squares (hour glass units). Your ideas for their use look great.

Preeti said...

I do like designs where two blocks create a secondary pattern. In this case, the first option is too busy without creating any wonderful secondary goodness. I am not a fan of sashing and cornerstones (just more work, UGH) but in your case it looks absolutely lovely, creating this illusion of circles. That is my favorite. The third is fabulous because it is fast and easy :-D
Thank you so much for including the convo with your DH. I am relieved it is not just me and Paul.

Rebecca Grace said...

I actually like all of your layout ideas. The one that makes your eyes hurt, I think it's more of a problem of high contrast everywhere -- you have just super light and super dark with no midtones that might calm it all down. But I do like your last version the best for QOV because it looks like Air Force fighter jet planes. I also had no idea that QOV picks a special block every year.

Delighted Hands said...

Fantastic choice! I really liked seeing the process of thought!

Zenia Rene said...

You seem to be a pro w/EQ8. Good for you! I like your winner and the previous one w/the sashing and cornerstones.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Simple is good, Alycia. That way you can finish MORE quilts! :o))

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Don't you love how you can test out different theories in EQ8 before committing to fabric. Got a chuckle out of your conversation with your husband. I rather liked the flying geese as an alternate block. If I didn't, I would simply do my own thing.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Shorter list - I wonder if my husband will notice when I remove cooking and cleaning to shorten mine. HAHAHA!!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Alycia, that is a great design and quite unique. Best of luck making it!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Pretty Ohio Star block, and I love seeing all your ideas! Your hubby is a hoot.