Friday, January 05, 2024

Grey Gingham Quilt and!!! Finished!! ( Or not) Friday!!

Happy First Friday of 2024!!! That seems so weird to say - and it seems so far into the future... but! The Future is here.

I always think that my goal for the New year should be to finish things. So this time I decided it was time to just finish the things sitting around my quilting table.... and as soon as I finished one, I looked at the pile - and decided......

To start something else. I can' even keep a goal for a week !! Oh well - at least I can entertain myself!

My finish for this week is:


My Grey Gingham Quilt!!! 

I am so excited about it - because!!! it has already been gifted and loved in its new home!

My Son ( and his Wife) are stationed in the desert - and she has decorated their house in Greys and one color. It is SO pretty!!! Instead of trying to make something that matched the color she chose, I decided to go with the Greys...

They also live outside of Joshua Tree National Park. I LOVE that park!  So I found the retro posters that they have and used it for the backing.


And then, of course!! Had to quilt cactus, Yucca and Coyotes on it. 
I was a little worried - her Grandma is a quilter, and you don't want to step on Grandmas toes - but - I got brave and decided.... they know I am a quilter too...



Imagine My Happiness when they loved the quilt - and appropriately ohhed and ahhhed without prompting!!!  Almost enough to put that kid of mine back in the will!!   ( Joking... that's a standing joke my dad used to make when we were bad!)

One down 4million to go!!!

So how did your first week go of 2024? Anything get started, finished, strike a fancy??


if you are new to us... this is where you link up your direct post
and you link back to this page so that we can all get lots of ohhs and ahhs!!

I look forward to seeing what you have been up to!








********Link up****

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
***the end****

If you are interested - I am hosting a Patriotic Mystery
Intro can be found here: Stars like Spaghetti
You can also join my mystery group https://groups.io/g/MysteryQuilts4Military if you want some conversations  about it... but not too much 

Linked up to!!!

23 comments:

Kate said...

A very fun finish! So glad you didn't have to disinherit oldest son. Hopefully you'll have more finishes than starts this year. If not, progress on anything is a good thing. Happy 2024.

scraphappy said...

I love the quilting! So thematic, and the back is as pretty as the front. Yay for finishes. So glad it is getting love.

Sara said...

The grey makes a very pretty quilt - with the surprise on the back, and desert themed stitching. I can understand why they loved it. Sounds like Fort Irwin? We visited a niece and her husband there years ago, and they took us to Joshua Tree for a side trip. It was the first desert I ever saw.

Linda said...

What a fantastic quilt! I love the gray gingham, and the panel on the back is just perfect.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That is a beautiful and extra special finish! How super cool to quilt it with cactus and coyotes !

Melva said...

You make me laugh. We can choose when to "stick to the list" or do something different. Your studio... your rules. ;) Thanks for the chance to share in the party.

Nann said...

Oh, Alycia -- what a terrific quilt -- the gingham effect is cool, and the Joshua Tree panel is a sneaky suprise.

Bernie Kringel said...

I love any and all gingham quilts. Congrats on holding to your goal for the entire week!!! Hahaha.
This is a fantastic quilt. Those fabrics with the retro Park posters are super. I have some of them and it is on my 2024 list to make something with them. Great quilt Alycia.

Anonymous said...

Love the “greys” quilt. Anxious to do the next mystery. I’m almost finished with the last one🤪

grammajudyb said...

There you go tempting me with another gingham quilt!!! Guess it's a sign that I must make one in 20204. Yours is awesome. The backing is so special. You are a good mom and MIL. Love your new badge!! Very cool!

Sandra Walker said...

Those gingham quilts are so addictive! Glad this one was so well-loved. :-)

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

OMG, that quilt is perfect for them. No wonder they loved it! The buffalo check in their color is great, but that quilting and the poster panel just elevate this quilt to a whole new level. Yay you!

Anne-Marie said...

I love that you started (and finished) something new! The front and back...like two quilts. Awesome!

Paula, the quilter said...

❤️ the binding! I’m a sucker for stripes on bindings.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the quilting. You are mom, so you can give quilts, too, not just grandma. You can never have too many quilts!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous finish. I love the personal quilting motifs and backing.

Vicki W said...

You are a great Mom!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great finish! It's two quilts in one! And of course the quilting is on theme and outstanding.

Allison said...

What a great way to start the quilting year! The grey gingham patchwork works so well and lovely to have the backing and quilting link to their home location.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Awesome quilt!!! Yes, I love Joshua Tree NP, too! Perfect backing and quilting, too!!! (Your comment, repeating what your dad said, made me chuckle!) And I agree--just 4 million more quilts to make!!!!!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Ooh, that might be my favorite gingham quilt you've made yet! The greys look amazing, the backing and quilting is perfect for the recipients, and I adore the binding. Fun!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Thank you so much for linking up with Favorite Finish. :) This is definitely my favorite of yours from this month, too!

Danette said...

Glad your family loves this quilt. It is gorgeous!