Monday, November 27, 2023

Lightening Streak Top

A while back I had to make a couple of blocks for a group charity quilt - and the person coordinating it wanted the blocks to be SUPER SUPER scrappy - as it 16-18 fabrics of the same colorway per block.

I had to use Yellows and Teals 

You know that if I had to have that much fabric out - I needed to cut it up... it just COULD not go back in my stash. ( only because I would never find it again!)

Because I am a fan of 5 inch squares ... I cut a lot of 5 inch squares... and then started playing, using them as leader enders..... 


And then I added a 5 inch strip to the 2 patches ( 5 inches x 9 1/2 inch) and made 9 1/2 in blocks.
and the next thing I knew - I was asking KC to hold it up so I could show you what I made...


Good Night... that went together fast!!! I put them 7 x 7   - so it is 63 x 63 ish in size...


Unfortunately that did not use up all the yellow that I cut up... but I moved on to the teal - so we will see what becomes of those... 

Now!! I have yellow scraps to use up tho - when that color called for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!

Don't forget to come back Friday and link up to 

Finished ( or not) Friday - its lots of fun to see everyones progress on quilty things!

Linking to:

Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

Sew n Tell

Monday Musings

Midweek Makers

Oh SCrap


Find me at all these places:

   
Etsy           Instagram           Facebook

14 comments:

Linda said...

Wow that was fast! Great leader/ender project, I love the way it turned out.

Vicki in MN said...

I like it, you whipped that up fast!

Bonnie said...

Super job of using some of the yellow 5" squares. Hum, I might steal this idea with 3.5" squares and see what I can use up. Or cut up that size in one color. Heck, I could just use the 2.5" squares I already have cut up and see what happens... Thanks for the wonderful idea. I'm looking forward to seeing the teal.

Sara said...

Another clever way to use up those 5" squares! I like this idea.

Delighted Hands said...

Isn't it amazing what a bit of fabric can make!!! I like the name you gave this one, too!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Looks great, and I love that even the white on white prints are scrappy.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm not sure we ever use up all of the scraps, but that is a great try! I love these happy yellows - they make a neat design!

Kate said...

A very fun way to use up those extra 5" squares!

tz_garden said...

How creative, AND FAST you are!

Nann said...

Very clever!

Claire said...

What a delightfully bright quilt! I love scrappy and I love yellow. Filing your idea away for my boxes of various sized squares.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Looks so good! It makes me want to dig into my 5 inch square bin! LOL

Marsha Cooper said...

I like it! I always see so many quilt tops I would like to try to make myself.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

This is sew cute Alycia! I need to cup up a lot of scraps into squares and start using them up. I love that it's so bright and cheerful! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!