Monday, October 12, 2020

More Double wedding ring... and a new start!!! ( its plaid!!)

 Happy Monday Morning!!

I have news.... both good and bad... first the good... I have finished my Double Wedding Ring quilt... the bad... the wind was howling - as in - we could not see the barns for the blowing dirt - and so... I didn't take my quilt outside - goodness! it might get dirty - so you will have to see it one more time... in all its glory ;-)


Here are a few more photos of it during the quilting tho!


I am a huge fan of Kimmy B owner of KimmyQuilt  she is just one of the most amazing teachers - and she gets you to understand how to see things in your head. Anyways she sells these really cool MELON Rulers - and you use them to get looks like this!


some of these blocks had too much fabrics - so you see how I kinda smushed some of it together?  I tried to take a good photo, but once I pulled it off the frame - these puckers kinda just blend in...



this was one of the better borders - so it made finding a straight line a little rough, but again - this is not someones family heirloom - it is becoming mine, so its all good, and I am glad to just have quilted it rather than fix it!

A flat view


another funky border - the cool thing here, is I could kinda gather up the fullness of this side and make it behave.  


When I first started I tried to make my Melon quilting all the same size - as I started working through it I had an epiphany moment! What if I made each melon go to the edge of the melon ( as best I could) would that help keep the bubbles down?   and it DID!!!!  So each melon is not exactly the same size of quilting, but it is the same pattern, and the same ratio within the melon... ya... I used math..

Okay - just kidding - I used my eye and made the feathers fit... didn't want you to think I was a genious or anything..... 



oh look .... squirrel..... In my blog reading I was reading Cluck Cluck Sew's blog and she talked about a block a day and then she had a little tutorial, and then on that tutorial is had a 5inch square size ... and you all know that I have 4 million batrillion 5 inch squares....  and


ta da!! A new project was born.... oh sigh....

Not really - I love new projects - and you know... I have the fabric - so why not!!


Happy Monday!



Linking to:

Design Wall Monday

Monday Making

MidWeek Makers

23 comments:

Donna said...

I can't believe you quilted that DWR quilt!!! It looks amazing even with the stretched out areas! I made one DWR and hand quilted it. I said never again! Looking forward to starting the quilt a long!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm loving all the photos of the wedding ring quilt. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing soon. I usually finish a quilt when it's cloudy (bad photos).

sue s said...

You pieced the perfect quilting for those melons! Nice save! I'm thinking about joining the triangle fun too.

patty a. said...

You finished that DWR quilt fast! It looks good too!

Quiltdivajulie said...

You did a MARVELOUS job on this beauty - and thanks for the heads up on Allison's hourglass updates.

Kat Scribner said...

I have had a ton of new starts this year! I watched a class with Kimmy Bruner on Bluprint last year and she was a wonderful teacher!!

Ramona said...

Your quilting is beautiful! I love the colors in your Double wedding ring. This one is on my bucket list of quilts to make. :)

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, my! You did the wedding ring quilt beautifully! It's just what it needed to come to life! Bravo!

Gretchen Weaver said...

You've got a double wedding ring quilt and she's lovely, wrinkles and all! Your quilting has worked wonders, you've taken a discard and turned her into a treasure. Have fun with your new squirrel!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

That is so exciting that you were able to get the double wedding ring quilt quilted; I look forward to seeing the awesome transformation from a crazy out of square quilt top to a finished quilt ready to be used and loved.

Vicki W said...

You are working a miracle on this quilt! It's going to be beautiful when it's done.

Lilac Joan said...

Love your comment: I have the fabric - so why not. If you don't mind I would like to use that for my mantra. I love starting new projects too. Friday and Saturday I start a new project each day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Unlike you, I saw the Hourglass blocks and moved along. They are no harder than 4-Patch blocks, but fit since reason, I'm just not a fan of making these.

loulee said...

You've done a great job of rescuing some one elses project. I'm looking forward to seeing it bound and in use. A great example of finished is as good as perfect.

chrisknits said...

You are a wizard with the quilting!!! Love your melon motifs. Can't wait to see it's photo shoot.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your DWR looks fantastic and that quilting is spectacular!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous feather quilting! It is great to be able to use an imperfect quilt to try and perfect new techniques and not worry about the gathers and imperfect piecing. You are creating more of a treasure.

Rebecca Grace said...

You are one brave woman, tackling that DWR! Just looking at the funky borders picture gives me hives. You did a great job with it and I love your math solution for the melons. Pretty sure math was invented for solving problems. :-). Have fun with your squirrel!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That DWR quilting is IMPRESSIVE! I am in AWE!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Alycia, I really love the work that you're doing on the double wedding ring. It's probably great training for anytime that things aren't square :-) Good for you for giving it a new life. The feathers looks great! Take care.

Bonnie said...

Hum, I wonder how many of us start new fabrics with the words “I have the fabric”? And then go out and buy 5 yards to go with the fabric.... Your quilting looks fabulous to me. There is a reason why I have a computerized long arm!

diane said...

That is really a very pretty DWR. I love all the quilting that you did.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Kudos to you for tackling that quilt. Those can be extremely frustrating.