Monday, October 05, 2020

Double Wedding Ring... progress

 I got my quilt all prepped and started to load it on the Long Arm


I think I got the top line pretty straight for the wiggles that are in it, 
however - as I did my measurements -I found that it is 3 inches longer on the left side
versus the right side.... hmmmmm

I have a lot of these(below)...
so I decided to use
Quilters Dream
Dream Puff Batting

That is just one of my most favorite battings, 
and I thought maybe a little loft would help fill these puffs.



A couple of the rings - I just couldn't flatten at all.
so I taped them to see what it would do to the rest of the quilt, 


and then decided that yep
I needed to baste this one down.


the ring below is a different one, 
but.... this is the pattern I am using in the rings.


I was just going to do it in the peach part, but then I realized that I would be here for 6 months quilting this one, so I decided to try it in the whole ring......


see you next week for the next update - haha!!..

( oh! and... no wine was involved in the quilting of this quilt!)



PS - join us!! to be a part of the mystery - just follow the blog - all clues will be posted here:




Linking to

Design Wall Monday

Monday Making
what i made monday

Long Arm Link Up

16 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I bet when it is all washed and dried it will look very antique!

Delighted Hands said...

You knew it was going to be a challenge! You have the experience to figure it out and just go with it! So far, so good!

patty a. said...

The quilting is looking good. I know how hard it has to be with the quilt not laying flat. Once it is all quilted and washed, I think it will be wonderful! That fluffier batting will certainly help.

Quiltdivajulie said...

It is going to be amazing!!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Great progress! I look forward to seeing how it comes together. It's exciting it's getting finished after all these years.

Nann said...

The peach background makes the varied prints sing! Hope you can get it flat enough to quilt.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your quilting looks great, the quilt is so happy to be finally finished. Happy stitching!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I use the Leader Grip sidegrip pieces attached to my clamps and it holds the edges of the quilt flatter, which helps. I also put a yard stick under the velcro tape that the clamp is attached to and over the back roller and front roller. I can send a photo. When I do that on the edges, they lay flatter and even with the top. It helps me.

AnnieO said...

A free form quilt, how about that? lol
I have lots of 30's fabrics and a few cut pieces in my grandma's things, including a cardboard template for the quilt pieces for this quilt. Such a treasure to have.

Sherrill said...

You are SO brave..no way I'd tackle anything like that. It would drive me insane!

Paula said...

I love the color and look of this quilt and the design you chose is great. Best wishes in taming the beast.

Bonnie said...

It will be a challenge to do this one but oh it will be spectacular when done. I've missed the previous info on this quilt. Is it yours (or a family members?) or a customer's? I looks like it is older (I don't want to say antique because that would be self describing me. But folks are right it probably will look fabulous when finished, and washed. The wrinkles will all blend together.

Rebecca Grace said...

Funny that you mention wine at the end... (!!). I think I'd have to drink at least three glasses before I felt brave enough to attempt this. Three inches difference from one side to the other is a LOT of difference!! You are learning so much with this one. The feathers you're quilting are just perfect, and I hope you'll show us how this one looks after washing. I started my quilting journey in the All-Cotton Purists camp, then migrated to the 80/20 blend that was supposed to be so great for machine quilting. I love the puckered texture of slight shrinkage from unwashed fabrics and cotton batting if it's a really traditional reproduction type quilt, but lately I find myself making quilts with more of a contemporary/modern vibe that I'd rather not alter so much in the washing. Is QD Poly Down a better choice for a more modern quilt, do you think? I really ought to piece several identical craft/crib size tops, quilt them all the same way, and then wash them so I can really see the difference the batting makes when all other variables are controlled. Thanks for linking up with Long Arm Learning and I am so looking forward to seeing how this DWR progresses for you!

loulee said...

Good on you for taming this one. I'm sure the original maker would be so proud to see someone finishing her work. And who ever added that last odd coloured bit too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I tried to custom quilt an antique Double Wedding Ring quilt on the longarm a year or so ago. It did NOT go well!! It was thrifted, and maybe I should have just finished it, but I took it off the frame to tackle at a later date.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It's looking great!