Thursday, January 03, 2013

My Inner Ansel Adams

I have long been a fan of Ansel Adams' work. I grew up in the same state as Yosemite, and got to travel there. There are times that I still can not see HOW he took some of those pictures.

We had the chance to go snowshoeing in the back country this last week, so I thought I would try to channel my inner Ansel Adams.  Just so you know - my camera.... does not have an "Ansel" setting on it   *sigh*


Check out these old Internationals - both the tractor and the truck!! 

Remember Ansel's Half Dome Shot?
Well - this isn't it.
But it is the biggest rock I found on our excursion.
Wrangler Man says if you study it real close - you can see a goat head.

So maybe it is Goat Dome?



Trees
I was trying to find the contrast between the light and the dark. 
I love the way the sun shone through the trees.
And just so you know - it was 14 degrees.

But with all the work trying to keep up with my ultra fast oldest child
I was sweating!

Here is the same shot ( sort of) in color.


And because I am not like Ansel, and could carry more *plates*, I could take 4 batrillion pictures

He only carried 12 plates to make his photos of Half Dome.
And they were glass
and heavy
and expensive.

I like technology!


Sadly - there is a lot of beetle kill in the forest.
We decided that these were probably beetle kill trees
that had been blown over by wind.


Look! 
Another tree!



And the whole crew!
We had a blast and saw some gorgeous country.
but for the guys it was a 4 cheeseburger night.
They burned a lot of calories.
I did too - but I opted for a Cashew Caramel Bear from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.
You can't say I don't know how to spend my calorie deficit wisely!!

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

10 comments:

Ranch Wife said...

What great shots and the perfect way to ring in the New Year! I SO would have been huffing and puffing to keep up with your fit family, but I would have loved it!

Needles, Fabric, Chisels, and Wood…Life is GOOD! said...

Love the photos. Keep it up. I think the fun is in the trying.

Last year we were in Vermont. One of the goals was to try out snowshoeing----guess we forgot to inform the weather gods because where we lived there was VERY LITTLE snow. This year the snow is falling, again.

Nancy said...

An excellent adventure and wonderful photos. I especially like the one with the light shining through the trees.

LizA. said...

What fun. I have always been a fan of Ansel Adams. If you look at any of his photos, they all have pure white and pure black and all shades of gray in between. He would wait hours for just the right light....I wish I had that kind do patience. Mmmm Rocky Mountain Chocolate factory--my sister always brings me some......I will definitely have to tell her to bring me cashew caramel bear.

Kevin the Quilter said...

A woman of many talents! Bet you didn't know my college major was in Photography! Great Ansel Adams shot!

Anonymous said...

As the create and know-how progressing, the [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#1172]the north face outlet[/URL] has become a crucial component within the fashion area, which has get to be the indispensable items from the daily living equipment inside the wintertime. The event tendency of the [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#921]north face outlet[/URL] described in four techniques: fashionization, casualization, choices, athleticization.

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ said...

Great pictures and great exercise. I love how you and your family are always doing things as a family. That is so wonderful in this day and age when everyone around me seems to want to go their own way - and that usually involves a computer and sitting inside!

phxquilt said...

Gorgeous pics...another facet of one of my favorite quilters! I wish I was in as good a condition as you and the family.

Kate said...

Beautiful shots! Gorgeous country side!

Anonymous said...

Your means of telling the whole thing in this paragraph is in fact pleasant, every one can simply know
it, Thanks a lot.