Monday, April 08, 2024

One thing at a time....

I have been inspired by Joyful and her 100 things decluttering.... but I twisted it my own way ;-)

Joyful has been making an effort to declutter one thing at a time - and it hit me... I should be doing that with my Parents stuff - I get so overwhelmed with what is left, and what to do with it - that if I touch just one thing at a time, maybe it would seem easier - 

So I have - and 2 whole boxes are ready to donate ( again) and the pants... my Dad had gorgeous suit pants and apparently I just boxed some up when trying to move everything out of his house.... those are going to our church...

and look what I found:


Me!!! Back in the day!! I raised Guide Dogs for the Blind out of San Rafael California thru my 4H - and I had to do a demo.... Wasn't I so cute haha!!!! 

And then I thought - hey - what is one thing a day that would make me happy? And I realized that I need another Churn Dash Project.... so I started making 1 churn dash a day ( just for April) 

Since I already have a bucket of 5 inch squares... I was ready to hit the sewing table!!



and then - only because I really don't want UFOs - I decided to pull out my Bonnie Hunter Mystery and get those pieces trimmed - and start on the blocks.... this is Block 1? 


They DO NOT go together as fast as my Churn Dashes - but I am liking them now. 

And my Baby girl - this is why we LOVE her!!!


Back to One Thing at a Time... Anyone need cleaning supplies haha! I opened one of the boxes and its all the cleaning supplies... I think my Dad loved to buy them - I won't have to for about 5 years.... Oh boy....


Linking up with


13 comments:

Sara said...

What a wonderful photo of you from 4-H. raising the guide dogs must have been a great experience. I've been working on a bit of decluttering too thanks to Joy. But seeing your photo reminds me that organizing years of photos is another BIG task waiting for me.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

My mom is still alive, but we keep downsizing her, and the extra things come to my sister or me. Hard to declutter when things like that come in, so I understand what you're going through! That is a cute photo of you with your guide dog project, too - great find! I love the churn dash blocks, too. They'll make a beautiful quilt!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I loved seeing Kern County on your poster board for the guide dog demo. I think one thing at a time is a very smart way to approach large and overwhelming work. I hope you can keep the momentum going on both the boxes from your parents and the churn dash blocks!

Melva said...

I love the 4H picture. <3 It is a great approach to things... one thing at a time. And smart to include 1 thing to make you happy. You are so wise! Thanks for sharing in the Sew & Tell party.

Delighted Hands said...

The pic of you is so sweet! And you are still giving back to the community! The churn dash quilts are your signature blocks!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Cleaning out parent's stuff can be overwhelming! Just go through 1 box at a time. It would be great if you could do a box a day but a box a week is better than nothing.

Preeti said...

Cleaning and Quilting don't usually go hand in hand. You know the saying about the clean house being the sign of a broken sewing machine. That said, since you have plenty of supplies, someone else can do the cleaning while you sew :-D In any case, we can dream. The best part about this post is your picture - beauty with brains and a purpose too! Girl, you are deadly!!!

Donna said...

Alycia you are adorable and to think you trained seeing eye dogs! Amazing! We have had to clean out my mom’s and my MIL’s house when they passed and it was horrible! I have been cleaning out closets and cabinets and getting rid of stuff. We have no children so my nephew will be in charge. I will not leave him a mess. Last week we went through all the old photos we inherited and our own. We got rid of so much. Good luck with the clean out.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

One thing at a time ( one a day) sounds like a great plan. I hope I can start a declutter inspired by your plan. Very cute 4H photo.

Linda said...

That photo of you is wonderful! I feel for you going through the decluttering of your parents' things.

Gypsy Quilter Designs said...

Love the photo.

No, a person can never have too many churn dash blocks, or puppy kisses.

Thanks for sharing. San

Kate said...

Even back then you were doing great things for your community. It's a really sweet photo. The just one thing at a time sounds like a reasonable approach. I've done a little decluttering, but there's a bunch more needed. Good luck with both your decluttering and stitching efforts.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Loving the churn dash blocks and the Bonnie Hunter mystery blocks as well! What a cute photo of you "back in the day!" I'm glad you have found a workable solution for you to go through your parents' stuff. That is not a fun job. And your Baby girl is just adorable! I love that look...and her message for you! LOL Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!