Friday, February 04, 2022

Square in a Square Ice Crystals... and Finished ( or not) Friday

This has been a quilt a long time in the making....

In Nov of 2020 I was opening boxes - and I found one that had a few blocks, some pieces and parts, and a ruler!! The full story is here: What was in the Box

Well!! I got the top put together, and for some reason - I didn't get to the quilting as fast as I had planned - but!! That is now remedied.... and get this... not only did I quilt it... I bound it... oh yes - that was why the East coast got hammered.... Sorry folks ( better than lightening striking me tho!!)

Here you go!!


I am pretty sure (but not 100% Confident) that the name of the block pattern is called Ice Crystals. Only appropriate to show the ice crystals on our deck right?


I had fun quilting it - I used a super dense motif in the open spaces, and in the *crystals* I used a feather motif. I really like how it turned out. 


And for some reason - I used Yellow thread for the back. I am not sure if I just wasn't awake yet - or???? but it kinda gives it a really cool look on the back. Its more textury than out standy  ( yes - those are words - I just heard them in my head!)

One more Down!!! Whoot Whoot!!

alright - that is my brag for the week - What have you got finished up?  Share away!!

Please add your Direct link only ( not the main link to your blog)


Please only link up a Finished ( or not) project - not announcements .. that's not really in the spirit of the link up

Please make sure to visit the links - make someone's day with a sweet comment

Please - link back to this post so others can join in




**************Link Up here ... don't forget to share!!! ******************


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
**************End********* Visit away*******

28 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Ice Crystals is beautiful! So appropriate for this time of year, happy stitching!

Linda said...

I love that pattern! I read your post about what was in the box, so funny you didn't think you had any UFOs. So I looked on Amazon and there are several books with Square in a Square in the title in various ways by Jodi Barrows. Is it the Blocks by the Square or just simply Square in a Square?

Linda said...

Also, did you buy the Square in a Square ruler to do your blocks?

Preeti said...

Gorgeous quilt, beautiful quilting. The snowy backdrop is the perfect setting. Happy sewing, Alycia.

Kat Scribner said...

The quilting on Snow Crystals is gorgeous!!! LOVE it!

Lisa C said...

I enjoy reading about quilter's finishing WIP's. I don't usually have too many going on at one time but when I do pull something out that I've set aside, usually I am excited to work on it. The yellow thread story was funny - and a nice surprise for you, I'm sure. Great new "words"!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wow! Gorgeous quilting. Love it.

grammajudyb said...

Wow! That’s really pretty! You are on a finishing and binding streak! Thumbs up!

Delighted Hands said...

A pretty quilt and superb quilting!

Susan said...

That is one gorgeous quilt and perfectly named too!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Pretty block and what a gorgeous quilt! I love the idea of yellow on the back, goes well with blues.

Snowcatcher said...

Wow, that is really beautiful, but, boy, oh, boy, is the dense quilting in the open spaces phenomenal! With my love of all things snow, this quilt really touches a special place in my heart!

loulee said...

The quilting is stunning. What a beautiful quilt.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Beautiful, Alycia! I'm over here cheering you on as you continue your finishing streak (so much binding; way to go)!!! :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great job getting an older project to the finish line!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

So pretty, and that quilting is just amazing! Congrats on your finish, binding and all!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Beautiful quilt...I like the picture on your deck
with the ice crystals...have a great day!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Such a fun quilt. I like the yellow thread.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Alycia! WOWEE! I'll say you quilted it - what a gorgeous pattern you chose. I am afraid to make a quilt with too much negative space only because I'd have to fill it with quilting. Great job finishing this lovely from 2020!! {{{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Mari said...

Terrific Ice Crystals among the ice crystals, It is perfect, and the yellow on the back is a nice surprise. It's not shouting, but is a cheerful complement. Have a great weekend!

Bonnie said...

Great quilt with amazing quilting. Ugh on the snow though!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! Ice Crystals is so beautiful! I am blown away by the gorgeous quilting. And a perfect setting for the photo!

WeedyMama said...

WOW! That is gorgeous quilting! I grind my teeth when someone 'saves' something I've made for them, but I would save that quilt for my first grandson. You might have one.

Kris said...

Wow you are right that is a perfect name. I agree on the yellow, though unexpected it looks good!

chrisknits said...

Gorgeous!! What a lovely quilt. It just waited for it's time to shine.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Congrats on your finish Alycia. It's gorgeous! Thanks for the party...that I actually made it to this week :-) Take care.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful top, fantastic quilting!

San / Gypsy Quilter

Vicki W said...

I absolutely love your quilting on this!