Monday, June 02, 2008

Not so Top Secret Project Fabric & Cutting



Well Here it is Drawn out in EQ. Notice that it is a two color quilt. So there are many ways to do this. You can choose just two colors(OPTION ONE), You can choose two colors for the 4 patches, two other colors for the 16 patches and yet another for the border(OPTION TWO)... or you can do it like I did and choose Fat Quarters in two colorways.(OPTION THREE)
~
Mine are obviously Blues and Creams. I have decided that I really like the scrappy look so went with the Fat Quarters. The next one I make I am going to go with the 5 fabric options.


~
So Lets Get Started....
Yardage Requirements:
~~
OPTION ONE: Two Color Option
Dark: 2 3/8 yards
Light: 1 5/8 Yards


~~~~
OPTION TWO: 5 Color Option
Dark #1: 7/8 yards
Dark #2: 3/4 Yard
Dark #3: 3/4 Yards
Light #1: 7/8 yard
Light #2: 3/4 Yards


~~~~
OPTION THREE: Fat Quarters
Dark FQ's: 9 total
Light FQ's: 6 total
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I hope you want cutting instructions in the same day. I know that Once I get my fabrics gathered I am all ready to cut... so we shouldn't waste the momentum!
CUTTING :

OPTION ONE ( two color option)
DARKS:
CUT: 11~ 2 1/2 Inch Width of Fabric Strips ( WOF)
: 5 ~ 4 1/2 inch WOF Strips
: 6 ~ 4 1/2 inch WOF strips for Outer Border
LIGHTS:
CUT: 11 ~ 2 1/2 in WOF Strips
: 5 ~ 4 1/2 in WOF Strips
~~
OPTION TWO (5 color option)
Dark #1: Cut 11 ~ 2 1/2 inch WOF Strips
Dark #2: Cut 5 ~ 4 1/2 inch WOF Strips
Dark #3: Cut 6 ~ 4 1/2 inch WOF Strips
~
Light #1: Cut 11 ~ 2 1/2 inch WOF Strips
Light #2: Cut 5 ~ 4 1/2 inch WOF Strips
~~
OPTION THREE ( Fat Quarters)
Cut these lengthwise so you will get 21 or 22 inch long strips.
Darks:
*Take 4 FQ's, Stack them up and cut 1~ 4 1/2 strip, and 5~ 2 1/2 inch Strips all 22 in long
*Take 1 FQ and cut 3 ~ 4 1/2 in strips and 1 ~ 2 1/2 inch strip.
*Take 4 FQ's , Stack them up and cut 4 ~ 4 1/2 inch strips from each - set aside 12 of the 4 1/2 inch strips for the border.
Lights:
*Take 4 FQ's, Stack them up and cut 1~ 4 1/2 strip, and 5~ 2 1/2 inch Strips all 22 in long
*Take 1 FQ and cut 3 ~ 4 1/2 in strips and 1 ~ 2 1/2 inch strip.
*Take 1 FQ and cut 4 ~ 4 1/2 inch strips from each.
~~

So... hopefully that will keep you busy for a minute.
Have fun - and thanks for joining in!

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

That's a nice design! What is the size of the finished quilt?

Jessica said...

Alycia - I LOVE it! I promised myself I wouldn't start anything new until at least next week (we're going out of town this weekend)....I may have to pull some fabrics to cut as soon as we get home! :)

Passionate Quilter said...

What a great project--thanks for posting some directions. I'd love to send a quilt to you for your project. Just tell me where to send it! Don't hold your breath though--it won't be this week! LOL

Jeanne said...

Looks wonderful, Alycia! I need to decide on an option and colors before I can begin cutting strips.

Anonymous said...

What a great design! Thanks for sharing it, and thanks for all that you are doing.

Kim said...

great design thanks for sharing with everyone