Monday, August 22, 2022

16 Patches and Antique Inspirations

 Over this last year I have been sewing my scraps into 16 patches.  Well, first you get that I cut the scraps into 2 1/2 inch squares. then I stitched them!  But I have accumulated quite a pile of 16 patches... and I started looking for inspirations for them..

Lo and behold - I was browsing blogs and I saw this one!



Isn't that just fancy???? I saw it on QuiltDivaJulies blog... and I thought what a great way to use the 16 patches!!!

and so I counted the patriotic ones I had - and came up with....


I  kinda liked where this one was going - but you know me... if its going to be Patriotic - why not make it Quilt of Valor Sized.... and so:



I added top and Bottom Borders... and Bam... 60 x 80 inches!!!

I think I will quilt something really patriotic in the whites... any suggetsions?

I also saw this book with 9 patches and now am thinking I may start making 9 patches for something like theses....

Don't forget... Long May She Wave starts on Sept 7th... This is NOT the same as the Mystery being offered my QOVF, so if you are planning to do both - know that My clues take about 2 hours per week or less... hopefully that will help you plan.


Linking to
Design Wall Monday    and Monday Making    Sew and Tell   Midweek Makers

Find me at all these places:

    
Etsy           Instagram           Facebook



(Commissions earned on Amazon Links)


12 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love my quilt I spired by that vintage workhorse … and your patriotic version is GREAT! Stars and flourishes come to mind for those wide expanses.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Haha, of course making it large enough for a QOV quilt was the thing to do. That's a lot of white space, and in terms of quilting ideas, I have to admit that I love America the Beautiful and the "amber waves of grain". I think flowing lines could be a nice filler, but you also can never go wrong with stars, can you?

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Awesome!!! I have a million 2 1/2" scrap squares myself and love this inspiration!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

love love love! can hardly wait to see the quilting!

Melva said...

I love it when a good plan comes together. How about stars in the quilting? Thanks for linking with Sew & Tell! <3

Michelle said...

Beautiful! And what a great way to use up those scraps.

Carlie N. said...

Love this one! I even recognize some of those squares--they're in my stash too!!

Linda said...

Love that pattern! That's a neat way to use nine patches, and that will make a great quilt of valor. I like Yvonne's idea of waves but also love Melva's star idea for quilting. Whatever you do will look fantastic.
I recently bought that Nine Patches book - I bet I got the idea to buy it from you! I love it!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Flowing lines like ribbons would look great. Wonderful job! Love the nine patches.

Cathy said...

Wonderful version of that vintage inspiration. And a QOV to boot! Way to go, girl!

Susan said...

Definitely a great way to use 16 patches. I suggest stars in the white area.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Alycia, that's going to be a wonderful quilt. Great inspiration!