Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Thermopolis

 How many of you have been to Thermopolis?

My Son and I got to make a quick trip - and it was awesome!!

We arrived in the late afternoon and immediately went hiking behind the Hot Springs... neither one of us sit in cars well - and it was a long drive. 


On our drive we saw hay.... but it was Loafed - Not baled - and I thought it was cool !
Sit back and relax - I may have taken a few photos....

Oh maybe go get a cup of coffee!


We know this - but with the amount of people getting into trouble around them -
 we always smile to see signs like this......

and the Buffalo!!!!
We stayed far away.

I need a longer lens... 
but!

I love them anyways


And a Momma with her baby calf - she was so sweet... from a LONG distance!


I am one of those people who love to see forever 
I think this is just the prettiest terrain




A lot of Dinosaurs have been found in this area
The Red indicates the Chugwater Formation
Most of the Dinosaurs come from the Morrison Layer but it is right next to the Chugwater layer.





I took this photo - I wanted to show it to K and convince him to build me fences like this. I think they are pretty!




Remember - I like Cemeteries. Still not sure why - but the older the better. This is Smoky Row Cemetery. Although there are some names here - not much is known about those people. But in the 1800's , even with difficult travel - people came to the Hot Springs, and set up camp.





From the Independent Record ( the Local newspaper ) you can find a little about the people:

• Mollie Koshear, who slipped over the falls into the river below the hot springs while placing articles under the falls to be coated;
• Augernose Jane, a Smoky Row character;
• Jack Berry, old soldier and mail carrier from Embar to Torrey, who dived into the first swimming pool and was killed;
• A strange woman, name unknown, described as being very large.



We decided to go hike behind the cemetery - far away from the buffalo herd that was relaxing along the other ridge.


But you could still see where they were: 


We hiked up and up and up - and that little white dot is my SUV!!! It was awesome!!

it was then time to head to the Hot Springs
This is a photo of how the Hot Spring occur

and just a hint
It smells like Sulfur





The effects are really cool tho!


We got brave and walked over the swing bridge that goes across the Big Horn River.
I pulled my phone out to take a photo and got the heebie Jeebies!!!


The Hot Springs bubble up, go over the canyon wall and fall into the river.
The sediment builds up and its really interesting to look at.





The water used to fall over this wall edge, but has since stopped - and look at all the birds who created their nests!!

The structure of the cliffs and the way they go around the river is really intriguing.
some of them look a little sketchy.....


Another Heebie Jeebie shot - he is on a ledge!!! and it made my legs shake!!



Proof we were there ;-)


I am not sure how these edges were created - but there are little pools of the water, and the water is still flowing over - but the structure is just so cool!

The Big Horn Hot Springs State Reserve became a State park in 1897.



it became a popular place for people seeking healing. It was originally owned by the Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapahoe tribes - they sold it to the Government, and in the agreement the access to the mineral springs would remain free.


We headed down to the river. I wanted to see how hot the river water was from the Hot Springs rolling off in it. The Temp of the water at the Hot Springs is 128Degrees - but the river should be cold water,

Not far out from the canyon walls the water was surprisingly warm , and the closer you got to the walls the hotter it got. We didn't go far - I am not sure that this was State Park approved... 

It is a unique little town!
Some restaurants you would want to check out:

One Eyed Buffalo and Brewery
The Safari Club
P6 Station

Find me at all these places:

    
Etsy           Instagram           Facebook

Linking to:

My Corner of the World

Travel Photo Blog Hop     Thru my Lens

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Awesome photos! I have never seen any landscape like that- very unique. Glad you got to experience it with your son.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Thermopolis is a great place to visit!

Ivani said...

Love to know Thermopolis by your photos, Alycia. Very interesting!! Thanks

Jim said...

Great scenery.

Vicki in MN said...

Very fun photos you took! I'd get the heepy jeebies to watching him next to the edge!

sue s said...

On our national parks trip a few years ago we ended up in Cody overnight on the way to Yellowstone. Too bad we didn't know about these springs. So cool!!! (or hot!)

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Reminds me of areas of Yellowstone National Park which I loved visiting. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

grammajudyb said...

"Man, you've been everywhere"lately! We haven't been to Thermopolis in a long time. Last time it was winter and we swam at the pools. Very fun! Looks like you both had a great time and were smart to "Stay Away from the Fluffy Cows! heehee!

Delighted Hands said...

We had friends who lived there for 30 years! Great photos--what a unique place to visit!