Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Digging for Dinosaurs

 We were able to go to a Dinosaur dig - our dig site was called DF... as in DON"T FALL!!!


and I thought I'd give you some perspective - so you could see why it was called that... it was a steep drop off!



Proof I was there too!!!! Don't you love my Adventure hat? It is so cool, it breathes, and when you are me, and it is 101deg  That is important.  And it has a pony tail hole - so my hair stayed put!

But!!!! you notice my son? he is WAY tougher than I am... Long sleeves!!! oh my!

( enough on clothes!)


This is the rock that we were digging in. I just knew that we would find a whole dinosaur - and we would get to call it a Carmin o saurus!!!!


We did find bones!! Not a whole dinosaur - but check it out!!! A bone!!!



and Bone Pieces.  So when you find bones - you are supposed to be real careful and pick them out. Anything larger that a Quarter gets mapped and listed in the book, so they can figure out how they all go together.


This was the view from our Dig Site.  The dig was super amazing to do, but super hot - and of course, you had to sit in the dirt. Every once in a while I just needed to get up and stare out into the wild... just in case a WHOLE dinosaur came roaming up!


We also went to the Wyoming Dinosaur Center....IT WAS FABULOUS!!!! There were so many dinosaurs that were found in Wyoming, Colorado and North Dakota ( I am sure there were more)




Check out these skeletons!!
they are COMPLETE!!!



I think the one above is Jimbo to Supersaurus. he was found in Douglas Wyoming and is 107 feet long.

We were told there have only been 4 complete skeletons found, and at this time - they found another bone that they think belongs to the 5th supersaurus.  We got to see the bones they are working on and they are removing it from the matrix.


This museum had so many skeletons, and SO MUCH information on each species, it was truly overwhelming.  I tried to take pictures of them and the info plaques next to them .

When I got free time I read the again, and still was SO impressed by the info on them!!


Of course, if you know us - we have to play with our cameras to see what we can do.....
No one else was there at the time - so we felt we weren't interrupting anyone's experience ;-)


can you see the difference in size of these two dinosaurs... it was CRAZY!






Thanks for joining us on this segment of our trip!!  we really had fun and our brains hurt and we were hot... so we headed to the One Eyed Buffalo for burgers and fries..

I do have to tell you - if you are in Thermopolis - that restaurant is worth a stop ( or two) the Burgers are out of this world, and the fries and amazing.... and they brew their own beer... made my son happy!!

Enjoy!!

Linking to:


Find me at all these places:

    
Etsy           Instagram           Facebook

commissions earned on Amazon Products

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an interesting day you had!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fascinating!!

Judy in Michigan said...

I want to go there right now!!! Thanks.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think the heat would have cooked me. You are pretty tough also. Thanks for sharing a unique corner of the world.

Michelle said...

How amazing and fun to be part of a dig. The museum looks incredible too.

Anonymous said...

What a great new adventure you’ll remember always. The size of the dinosaur s is amazing.

Linda said...

This looks like SUCH a fun trip! Your sons are so good looking :) The museum looks very interesting.
You may have heard about the dinosaur tracks discovery near Dallas. The drought conditions dried up a river in Dinosaur Valley State Park and revealed 113 million-year-old tracks! We didn't even know that park existed. It's only a couple hours drive away, so it's on our Must-Visit list.

Carla said...

Such a fun post to read. Thank you for sharing - something we need to do in the future.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Alycia, what a great adventure! A few years ago I went to Calgary Alberta and visited the Dinosaur museum and park in Drumheller. It was very cool.