Friday, January 21, 2011

Scrappy Rail Fence Pattern for Jan 30th Sew day

On January 30th - in the big town of Greeley I will be hosting a Quilt of Valor sew day. A few of you have asked what we will be sewing, and can you join in virtually - and the answer is OF COURSE!!

Now let me show you what we will be sewing. I have 3 of these kits already made up, so I think I  might be prepared.

Tada ; The Scrappy Rail Fence!



I used my Accuquilt Go Cutter and a bunch of scraps and started cutting. And then I measured. I think that might be backwards -  but it has worked so far!!

To make a scrappy version you need

48  2 inch by 42 inch Dark Strips
32  2 inch by 42 inch Light Strips.

You will then sew them into 16 strip sets - Dark Light Dark Light Dark

I pressed them all to one side, because that is the way I roll.

Then I sub cut each strip set into 8 inch blocks.  From this I got 80 blocks total.

Set the blocks, alternating directions in an 8 x 10 setting

Sew
And Voila - a scrappy rail fence!!

Now - if you want to do yardage and make a more color controlled quilt, you will need
1 yard each of 3 darks and 2 lights - for a total of 5 yards. ( make sense?)

Oh - and the finished size should be :

60 x 75 inches -

which is perfect - because QOV is now asking that quilts be a minimum of 55 x 65 in. So this will totally fit the bill......

Hope you like it - let me know if you have questions, or I need to be more clear.

9 comments:

Cheryl Willis said...

yeah, don't just just love the GO, I use the 2 1/2 strip die and love it. cw

Carla said...

What is the width of your strips?

Cheri said...

Thanks for this. I need quick patterns. Yours is very lovely.

Mary Johnson said...

Thats so funny because I just finished a rail fence using the same strip/block measurements that's scheduled for posting on the Stash Manicure blog next Saturday. I did mine in greens/purple as a child's donation quilt but I love this RWB version too.

Roslyn said...

I have been trying to win A GO CUTTER particularly for QOv's but also for Hob's and al the "charity" quilts I make but no luck, I never win anything always have to buy!
IMy scrap drawers are full so I need to make a couple of fast scrap quilts, this will help, Alycia.

Laurie said...

This simple quilt pattern has great potential...I love the simplicity of it and may get our charity quilt group to do this for one of our quilts this year. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I see a basket weave when I look at the finished top...and I like it, almost better than a rail fence...in the event when I create one, I think I would call it "Woven"...you could read a lot into that. How troops are woven together, fabric, quilts and QOV community! thanks for the instructions and inspiration!

Anonymous said...

When I look at the quilt, I see more of a basket weave, rather than a rail fence. When the time comes that I create one, I think I will call it "Woven"....As those who serve are woven together...fabric, quilts and QOV community...thanks for the instruction and inspiration.

Anonymous said...

This quilt show is inspiring...thank you for the show and tell...I love that they are 'service' quilts, not charity quilts...Amazing!