Monday, September 18, 2023

What is Black and White and Yellow all over???

(its really supposed to be read all over - and a newspaper.... but... I am a quilter... go with it!!)

Remember my Out of the Box Potholder? Well.... I found more Yellow Black and white scraps so I just kept making crumb blocks... and now I am here:


I asked my husband what is a complementary color that would go with this as a setting fabric - he said navy... I did not see that.... 

so I took some scrappy strips of Navy, White and Black and laid them up there... and I am pretty sure I have come up with a complete different plan that I was originally thinking... so maybe I will work on that this week and see if I can make it happen!!


( I was not a fan of any of the strips - but I ran out of time to do more experiments... this week - fingers crossed!)


You did note I got a late start this morning - but Look what I got to see before I Came in!!! The days are getting shorter, the sunrise is later in the morning, and I wore a sweatshirt to do chores... Fall is in the air!!!


Linking to:

16 comments:

Sara said...

I'm confident that you'll be inspired with just the right layout idea once you have the chance to play some more with those fun crumb blocks.

Jo Kitchen said...

Have you thought of maybe a teal/turquoise setting strip? it could bring out the colors, but only if you like teal.

Nann said...

Hmm. No offense to your husband, but not navy. Audition gray. Or orange. Or lime.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love aqua with yellow and gray . . . the crumb blocks are SUCH fun!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

What a beautiful sunrise to get to enjoy this morning. I hope you have fun playing with the layout and look forward to seeing where it develops.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

When I read the post title I was afraid there would be a huge photo of a black and yellow spider. Boy, I hated those things when we were walking though the cornfields.

Vicki W said...

That is a spectacular sunrise!

Mari said...

Hmmm. . .try orange, lime green, aqua. Some helpers have no color sense at all!

Momma Llama said...

Your crumb blocks are a great scrap buster and create so much visual interest. What if... you had a yellow fabric with an all over design or print, say curly swirls or tiny bees or a fabric that will bring in another color (teal or such)? This could be sashing.
Another idea could be to just sew all the crumb blocks together, trim them even to make a top, and then add a dark inner border with a creative outer border or two.
The possibilities are endless. Looking forward to see what you create.
D. Weeks

Linda said...

It already looks fantastic, so whatever you come up with is going to be spectacular!

Kate said...

Beautiful sunrise. Even here I've had to put on a long sleeve t-shirt to walk in the mornings. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on for your accent color.

Lou Ann said...

Look to the picture of the sky for the color for your quilt. It contains your blocks. It can contain your sashing.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Alycia! Here's the rule of thumb we always used when we owned a framing shop. Step back and take note of the third color you see. That should be your focus - a mat in that color will bring it out as a focus point. Or if there is another color that you'd really like to pull out in the crumb blocks, choose that. I look forward to seeing where this goes. Gorgeous sunrise! God does great work. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Snowcatcher said...

Thank heavens it's finally beginning to cool off a bit! This is going to be beautiful, no matter what you do with it. I wouldn't have thought of combining yellow with white and black, and they go well together. I'd probably stick with black for sashing, but I'm interested to see how your experiments look, too.

Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful sunset---great looking ideas on the design wall!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

There is a hint of fall in the air here in the south too...but not sweatshirt time yet! LOL I'm ready for it! Looking forward to seeing your thought process as this develops! Thanks for sharing Alycia!