Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Sew Day Quilt of Valor Presentaitons

 We have sew days here in Kersey - and quite a few times it works out that we can invite out Veterans to come to the sew day and we can award their quilts!!

Its pretty fun! we have a great sized room so they can invite Friends and Family, and the Quilters are there - so we can see our Quilts awarded... LOVE it!!


Sew Day Number one!!! This was cool!! The Two guys on the right are from the Sheriffs Department! And the gal on the left is from Cheyenne. They were SO awesome!!  

The quilt on the left was made by the recipients family member - she had been nominated, but the family was too far away. So the quilt was sent to me, ( kind of anonymously - so there was so mystery at first.... )   

The Quilt in the Middle was made by my whole quilting group - and I did the quilting. Then Kim did the binding - but the cool thing... I ride horses with this guy and his family!!!  His wife is AMAZING!! but... the kids... his kids steal the show!! They have the most adorable children and they make my day every time I get to see them!

The one on the right - that was made by Becky - she has a special heart for our Sheriffs Department and has been working on making sure each quilt is just perfect for the Awardee



Sew Day #2

Oh man - Another Group of Amazing Veterans... They literally made me laugh the whole time. 
Karen and Connie made the Quilt on the left. And this Veteran was Navy. He was so sweet, and so honored to be there. He told us stories, and had us Grinning.

The Center  ...  Daddy Dave is what his whole group called him!! He is part of a motorcycle riding group and they all were able to come. They were a perfect addition to our presentation.  Dave was in Vietnam at 18 and was a coder... talk about some high responsibility.... 

And the Right - This guy - oh man  - this guy - what a heart.  We had been trying to get him to a presentation for quite a while but none of our schedules jived. I think it was because he was supposed to be here for this one!!

When I pulled out his quilt he looked at the Quilter who had nominated him ( Charlene) and he said - I told you I wanted this one! So he was so tickled. 


Hope you enjoyed these presentations!!!

I love to see the happy faces and hear the responses. Daddy Dave said he has never been recognized for his service and that this quilt was amazing. He might have had a little sweat running from his eyes... but we all know - that love that we can give through a quilt... makes everything totally worth it to us.




8 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, Alycia, you always get me teared up. No one ever recognized him for his service, oh sad. The photos are fabulous and such a motivation to keep sewing. Thanks so much for sharing.

Delighted Hands said...

Amazing as usual--what a great ministry you have!

Rebecca Smith said...

I love all the veteran stories, but hearing that this is the first time Daddy Dave was thanked makes it that much more special.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Well, it sounds like the combination of QOV presentations and a sew day is pretty perfect. As is the recipient getting the quilt he wanted! :)

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ said...

I love this and I love reading about your presentations and the recipients. Thank you for doing what you do.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Sounds like fun and great presentations. Thanks to all who made it happen.

Susan said...

What great days! You are so fortunate to work together and then see the presentations!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Every time I know that I'm talking to or seeing a veteran, I try to say 'Thank you for your service.' I've been pulling out fabrics, kits and even a quilt top today (from my friend's stash) today. We'd already pulled out a whole box of fabric for QoV.