Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Stitch it and Gift it!!

I love this idea for a blog hop - it kinda gets you in the spirit... and pushes you a long to finish the ideas you have.... That being said!!

If you are reading my post - you are now SWORN to SECRECY/..... Got it???

and!! Even more important - if you know any of my family.... you may not speak of this to them....

and EVEN more important.... if you know my Brother in law... do not tell him that I like him... we operate on the - who can pick on each other the worst........



Did you swear? are you able to keep a secret?
Alright - then you may read on....

A few years ago I decided that it would be cool to make him a quilt with pictures of his family and some old photos.  His family is one that has been in Wyoming for a million years ( that's how old he is - bwahh haa haa)   And they have quite the history... so I worked with his Sister and Brother and we found some really great old photos.

His Dad was a WWII pilot and we found some of those photos - and we found some goofy ones -

Then I worked with Erin and Fabric on Demand  and I made fabric of those photos,... that is one awesome company - they are SO helpful and SO great to work with.

And then! I had to find fabrics - oh the torture.. oh the shopping - Ok .. not really -


Whoops - that is not it... that is just a photo of a few of my horses... that was a test - just to see if you were ready to keep a secret...

TA DA
There is the top!! I framed each photo with Dark Brown cowboy fabric ... in ... of course a Churn Dash!! I thought it looked like a frame for each photo.




I thought that would be the end of my post - I didn't know if I could get it completely finished by today... but you know what?? You beg your husband to make dinner and you work in the dark... and




you get it DONE!!
Whoop Whoop

( and by Done - I even mean... are you ready???? BOUND!!!)




it turned out King Size - which was sorta my plan - but not really... I was going for Queen - but you know ... Math.... It changes a lot!! Works out pretty good tho! They have a king size bed.

I am so glad that Creatin in the Sticks gave us this push to get something done in time for the holidays - and in my case - something pretty big... It took me 2 years to really make this.... We have been collecting photos that long...

Go check out all these other blogs too - they are also participating:

Tuesday, November 12th



And here is a link to the complete list of blogs participating this week:
Stitch and Gift Blog Hop


are you working on anything for Christmas?

47 comments:

Susie said...

Wow what a great idea and it is stunning. I am sure he is going to love it. Yes I need a push to get things finished too, although I am not doing too well, I have some things completed and some half done!!!!! Thanks for sharing. Hugs Susie xx

Dorian said...

Such a fun, lovely idea! I'm sure this will be a favorite quilt.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your quilt is fantastic and I'm sure your BIL will adore it!

Vicki in MN said...

Now that is a quilt for a guy to treasure! It's just awesome Alycia.

Carla said...

This is amazing and so personal. I love it. Thanks for the fabric link. It looks super easy to make and order fabric. Great post!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a very neat quilt, I'm sure your brother in law will love it!

Nancy L said...

What a great gift!! This is so special!!

KaHolly said...

Delightful post! Congratulations on getting this quilt finished completely.........labeled, too? It is absolutely awesome and your BIL will be over the moon upon receipt.

Vicki W said...

What a great gift! I wouldn't be able to wait until Christmas to gift it!

Melva said...

There is nothing better than a memory quilt made with love. Thanks for sharing!
MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

OMG - what a great gift! He will love it, I'm sure. Your churn dash frames are just perfect for the photos. Congrats on getting it finished, and even bound!

Karrin Hurd said...

What a great gift! Congratulations on getting it totally done!

Loris said...

What a sweet gift! He is going to get the idea that you like him though ;-)
Mums the word. I won't let the secret out :-)

wendy said...

That is a wonderfull quilt! Can't imagine receiving such a gift. I'm sure he will be thrilled. Thanks for sharing it.

Farm Quilter said...

I'm sorry, Alycia, but you have changed your relationship with your BIL with this amazing quilt!! He is going to be blown away!!! No one else's Christmas gift will even come close to matching up to this!

Calicojoan said...

That is one very special quilt that he will hold dearly in his heart!
He may not show it...but LOL!!!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Wow, and you got it quilted and bound too! Congratulations on a great finish to an awesome gift for your (shhhhhh.... brother in law).

Susan said...

That's a great idea. I like how it looks, and that it's completed in time for gift giving. Great job from a busy woman!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's an awesome gift, Alycia!! He's going to LOVE it. For sure!!

Vasudha said...

OMG! This is such a special quilt. Love the way you've used the pictures. The secrecy and suspense in getting the pictures and making the quilt is so cool :-)
Love the pic of your horses - very beautifully composed picture.

Danice G said...

How personal and beautiful! Your work is perfection too.

qypsyquilterdesigns said...

Wow, what a marvelous gift. Definitely a heirloom they will be proud to own. Great job!

Cynthia's Creating Ark said...

Well done. A very thoughtful gift.

Anonymous said...

Haha... math is a moving target. This is such a wonderful quilt that I am sure will be cherished.

Ranch Wife said...

Coolest gift ever! Don't pick on him too much when he cries. ;)

Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com said...

What a wonderful idea and quilt -- well worth those 2 years of work! He will love it. I promise not to tell.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great post, very fun, and wow that quilt is a treasure. Love how you made it.

Carol Andrews said...

Wow! I’m sure your bil will really love it! What a sweet thoughtful gift.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a wonderful quilt, Alycia! Congratulations on finishing it up - your BIL is going to be amazed by it!

Charlene McCain said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift. You just might receive a hug. You did a great job! He will love it!

LJ said...

What a fabulous quilt - I love the churn dash blocks that frame the pictures. Too bad I don't know you're brother-in-law...I can't really prove that I'm a good secret keeper!!

Sue D said...

Wow--what a fabulous and special gift. I like how the photos look framed.

Denise :) said...

WOW! That's an amazing work of art right there!!! What a wonderful gift! :)

Scrapatches said...

First of all I want to say I promised to keep it secret. What a fun post! The quilt is wonderful. The churn dash and fabrics frame the photos perfectly . The photo of your horses is stunning. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... :) Pat

teachpany said...

What a sweet gift. I need to make a photo quilt, too. Churn dash frame is a great idea. Thanks!

Carol Swift said...

Oh my gosh, what a treasure! Your brother-in-law is really lucky to have you and you'll be able to remind him of that after he receives the quilt. Thanks for sharing!

Anita Jackson @ Domestic Felicity said...

What a lovely gift you've created. I'm not working on anything specific, but ready to get the machine abuzzing again!

Sharon said...

This. Is. Awesome! I love photo quilts. Such a thoughtful gift for your BIL. And your secret is safe with me.

Julie said...

This is an amazing gift and I love how it all turned out. What a great idea and yes I will keep the secret! What fun! I am only making one gift this year I think, well a very small one for an exchange, but I decided to not stress myself!

Brandy said...

Look at you go girl! Way to get a full size finish in! I think they are going to really love this quilt. Happy holidays!

Brandy

Susan said...

This is such a great gift idea! Well worth the two years of picture taking.

Michelle said...

Wonderful quilt! It will make a great gift!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

What a treasure this quilt is! It may have taken two years, but I'm glad to see the finished product! Great job! Thanks for sharing.

tink's mom said...

This is an absolutely wonderful gift. He should love it to pieces. It may really mess up your relationship. It will be so hard for him to pick on you after this.

Leah said...

This is fantastic! I love the idea of old family photos and I love those churn dash frames! They are perfect.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Shhhh...Great quilt. I won't tell......

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

wow, such a beautiful, special quilt!! Will definitely be a family heirloom! xx