Monday, August 03, 2026

A little excursion

 Now that I think about it, I know why last week went so fast... I left!!

We made a little excursion to visit  family - and had to explore a little bit!!



Sunset from the Wharf in Georgetown. We headed that way to go to dinner at Farmer Fisher Baker - and it was really good, it was also a very young vibe. Lots of partying in the bay - lots of Yachts that probably cost more than my whole house!  Fun to see tho

From there you can take a trail along the Potomac so we did and headed to the Monuments. I really wanted to hit the Women's Vietnam Memorial in the Dusk - I love the Look at night. So we did!




It never dawned on me that Women would not be seen as Veterans just because they were nurses... So cool to see something dedicated to just women. 

Of course - we had to take a photo op on the river too....It has been humid in Colorado, and surprisingly the Humidity in DC was LESS that it was here. Still made my hair frizz. I have come to accept it haha

After the Womans Memorial we headed to the Lincoln Memorial- only to see a super cool new monument going up. It opened the day we flew home - so we will have to go see it next time without the construction 



You can read more about it here: https://monument250.usaa360.com/

I think its going to be pretty cool - and it sits at the feet of Lincoln. 

I think it takes just as much work to get ready to travel as it does when we get home... sigh


Find me at all these places:


    
Etsy        Instagram      Facebook       Amazon    Ebay

(ps - a commission is earned on purchases from amazon thru my link)

9 comments:

Elle said...

For sure read "The Women" by Kristen Hannah. Indeed not considered Veterans. It is disgusting. As a retired OR RN who did way too much trauma in my career, the book rings true. Shooter in 1 OR and victim in the next. And I know my mental trauma is minuscule to theirs!

I love that walk from Georgetown to the Lincoln. You had a terrific long day!

Vicki in MN said...

That is a neat looking monument that just opened! Yep traveling and getting home puts forth some extra work:0 But usually so very worth it;)

Sara said...

I've been to DC so many times, but not in the last few years so I'm sure there are things I haven't seen. The Korean War memorial, at dusk, is the one that gives me goose bumps as those soldiers look so real. The older sister of one of my childhood neighbors was an army nurse in Viet Nam. She came and spoke to our high school once about her experience. The new military memorial does look beautiful.

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

So glad you got to get away for a bit! That military monument is going to be glorious. Lots of good changes going on in DC.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Looks like a great trip! A great read about Vietnam and the nurses is The Women by Kristin Hannah. Welcome home!

Nann said...

When I saw the water I thought, "They're not in Colorado any more!" Looks as though you had a nice break. Safe travels home.

Kate said...

Looks like a fun trip. The new memorial is pretty cool looking. Hope you've been able to unpack and get back to your routine. It takes a lot of work on both ends of a trip I've found.

Nancy said...

What a packed trip! I can see why you chose evening for your visit- the lighting really adds a mood or tone. That new monument is so nice! Thanks for the link to learn more. You need a down day for re-entry (and laundry).

Delighted Hands said...

A great trip for you! I sympathize about the hair--I battle it always! lol