Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Crumb Blocks QOV

 Every so often those scrap bins get full, so I would sit down and make crumb blocks. then! I put them in a pile. 

Remember - I am working on my piles - so I pulled that one out and was pleasantly surprised to see how many Red and Blue blocks I had... enough for a Whole - ish quilt.

Each blocks was 8 1/2 inches Square

This was the first layout - it was going to be about 56 x 72 - I typically like my QOV's to be 60 inches wide....
So I kept digging. I had started making these stars as leader/Enders - but they were 9 1/2 inches.

I laid them out to see if I even liked the idea before cutting them down.... 

This is the first idea →

I wasn't completely in love...
I kept playing and decided I liked them in a diagonal - that way it looked like it was intentional.. ( you buy that right?)



Then I trimmed the stars down to 8 1/2 inches and got to stitching

Voila - a 64 x 72 inch Quilt of Valor top. I have one Red and one Blue crumb block left. I think those are called *seeds* as you know more block may grow.... haha


Find me at all these places:


    
Etsy        Instagram      Facebook       Amazon    Ebay

(ps - a commission is earned on purchases from amazon thru my link)

14 comments:

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

Amazing how all those blocks make such a pretty pattern! I like that diagonal star layout.

Vicki in MN said...

Definitely planned;)

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is just fantastic! Love the finished look!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The stars on the diagonal are perfect! What a great use of your crumb blocks and of course you have a few seeds left for the next one. :)

Barwitzki said...

Beautifully done :-))) You’ve done a wonderful job with the top. I really love the diagonal stars, and it’s great how the pattern starts over again...
Sending you cheerful greetings.
Viola

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

The most fun and delightful quilts are always being made in your quilt room, Alycia. Beautiful job on this crumb quilt. I love those strips of red!

Delighted Hands said...

I love the layout for this quilt! Amazing scrap quilt!

Sara said...

Awesome use of the stars with the crumb blocks.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love that diagonal star angle in this flimsy! What an awesome way to use crumb blocks!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I LOVE working with crumbs and that is a fabulous scrappy QOV quilt top. My local QOV group doesn't like very scrappy quilts but maybe your design would change their minds.

Anonymous said...

I like how your top came out finally! Often I work with diagonals, it is never boring for my eyes!
Angela from the lower Rhine

maggie fellow said...

what a great way to finish the blocks

Kate said...

Those star blocks really add the sparkle to the crumb blocks. Very fun setting.

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, that's so cool! That's like getting a quilt for free!