Sunday, June 23, 2024

Goofy Geese

 I get teased a lot about my Leader/Ender projects - and I get picked on about the piles by my sewing machine - but I am a DEDICATED Leader/Ender person!! My Grandma used this method when stitching garments, and she would have Quilt blocks made at the end of making a dress... She used them to *stitch off* the garment, and to make sure the needle didn't get stuck in her good fabrics...

Well!!! I have been making Half squares ( ahem - I know!!) with my 5 inch squares here and there, and assembling them into flying geese.

Thursday night I might not have been able to sleep so I started throwing those Goofy Geese up on the wall...




And I might have decided I kind of liked that random pattern - so I added some creams and white, played a little tetris with figuring how to piece it  - and now!! I have a 60 x 70 ish top!!!


I even have a backing made, and if all goes well it will be pinned and ready to load on the longarm today - and when there is a spare moment.... I will quilt it!!!


Here is a description of Leader Enders if you are interested: Leaders and Enders Explained


Linking to:

Sew and Tell at Melva Loves Scraps

Monday Musings

Design Wall Monday


PS - want to see Baby Reno? He is 1 month old now:


Cute right????

18 comments:

Gypsy Quilter Designs said...

Wow, a whole other top! As they say in the south, "you done good."

Thanks for sharing.

San / Murphy, NC

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Baby Reno is very cute h I love the your Goofy Geese too. Have fun quilting the negative space

Kate said...

I don't think I could sew without an leaders and enders project, it's just how sewing is done these days. Your leader and ender project is looking good. Sometimes less blocks is more and you've got a great balance with what's up on the wall. Reno is still a cutie, but he is getting big.

Vicki in MN said...

Nice to be productive if you can't sleep! I like where you went with these geese;)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I am a leader/ender too although, I don't make many blocks because I try to leader/ender my project as I progress. I like your "Goofy Geese," What a great name and HSTs can be used in all sorts of layouts. . .it's a simple and fun block to leader/ender!

Linda said...

You have a great quilt going! Love the plaid geese especially. Your baby is adorable.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love using leaders and enders - and look where it got you! That's a fun design, too. Baby Reno is adorable, and very photogenic!

Melva said...

I'm not sure if I love Reno or the Crazy Geese more. ❤️❤️ Thank you for sharing in my Sew and Tell party.

Delighted Hands said...

What an amazing quilt! I just can't do leader/ender blocks-it seems to interrupt my flow but I can admire you for using the idea!

Sara said...

I always have a Leader/Ender project going. It's surprising how fast those bonus blocks and units add up in between a major project.

Mrs. T said...

I got teased by friends for being a dedicated leaders and enders gal until they saw all that I made without directly working on a project. I'll never go back to not sewing that way!! Love your goofy geese 😁

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love the movement you created with the layout and the cream and white background lets the pieced geese really shine. And yes, always more photos of Baby Reno!!

Miss Alissa said...

I love it! Sometimes randomness makes some pretty cool stuff!

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is amazing how those leader enders pile up and voila, a quilt! I use them all the time. Love your little friend.

Amy said...

Goofy Geese become Tetris Gaming Geese - love that this top simply 'evolved' for you :).
Leader-Ender isn't even a second thought anymore after all these years -- always something ready, even if it's just 1.5" squares, or in your case, 5" HSTs turned geese.
Love it.
And Baby Reno... seriously! Would love to be closer to spend a day admiring, petting and smelling the horses. Adorable cuteness!

grammajudyb said...

Baby Reno is adorable! I’m not a horse person, what is his color?
I am a dedicated leader and ender also! Why not? Something is better than not her. Lately I’ve been making crumb blocks in between! I should work up my leftover charms! Love those geese!

cityquilter grace said...

serendipity sewing is always fun and rewarding!

Bonnie said...

I like what you did with your flying geese. It makes it an interesting quilt. Ah baby Reno is cute.