Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Quilts to Hospice

 



I know these are tops... but!! they were finished before I delivered haha!

A little bit before Thanksgiving I was invited to Pathways Hospice in Northern Colorado. They have a 12 bed facility in Loveland, and then in-home hospice workers all over. 

It is the Hospice we used when my Mom was sick. You might remember if you've been following long - that after she passed I took some small lap quilts to the Nurses and they fell in love with them. But I truly knew nothing of how it all worked, other than what I had experienced with my Mom.

The 12 bed facility is new - and there is a quilting group in Loveland that has made bed sized quilts for the old facility for a few years, so they were invited as was I to see the new place and learn about what they do with the quilts.

It was sad, and amazing, and overwhelming - the amount of people that use this type of care. ( and no -  I am not being mean, I just never really thought about end of life)

This group in Loveland has made over 300 quilts I think they said - but they are the bed sized - like 50 x 70 ish to fit the beds in the facility.

It made me appreciate  Bernie and Preetis efforts, and Cynthias efforts and Kat even more - that's a full time job!!

I have been making up smaller quilts with my orphan blocks, and UFOs, and smaller test tops - This year I have donated 54 quilts - and the last batch I took had these two at the top in them. Mine go to the In-home Care workers, when they think a patient might like a little extra hug. Some patients have no family around.

Year end Stats are always fun to read - but I am pretty horrible at keeping them - 

but for 2021 I took over 20 Quilts

2022 - was 40 

and 2023 is 54

So.... how come I keep finding more orphan blocks and fabrics I didn't know I had???? Hmm????😂🤣


17 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Fifty four quilts, that is amazing, you are an angel Alycia!

Paula, the quilter said...

What’s the quilt group?

Linda said...

Those are such pretty quilts, especially against the clouds in that blue sky background. I've never thought about making quilts for hospice care - great idea. That hospice place sounds wonderful.
I swear hospice care is run by angels. My Mom lived with us for 8 years, and hospice workers came to our home a couple times a week during her last year. A true angel came to our house the day Mom passed. Although I've forgotten her name, I will never forget her words and actions that day.

Sara said...

Those are impressive numbers, and I'm sure every quilt has been so appreciated. I'm hoping to make more donation quilts in 2024 myself.

Kate said...

You do such good work on both the QOV and the in-home hospice support. That's a lot of stitching over the last 3 years just on the hospice quilts.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's wonderful that you're doing that, Alycia - I know those quilts are very appreciated. Quilters are the most generous people!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wow, 54 quilts?!?! You are amazing. I bet the workers are always happy to see you.

Delighted Hands said...

So nice to give back to some ministry that gave to you! I learned about Quilts for Kids after my granddaughter had to be in a Shriners' hospital and that's why I make them quilts now-for someone else's own granddaughter!

julieQ said...

I work hospice now, and it is so wonderful to gift a quilt to a person...and then to a family! Great job!!!

Kathleen said...

Hospice work is so awesome. I am a recent volunteer and we do have quilts at the facility I am at. It is so nice as a quilt is always on the bed to welcome the new guest. Congratulations on giving so many - that is truly impressive. Do you ever sleep?

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Yay you! 54 donation quilts - Awesome!
Hospice was wonderful for my dad, and I'm sure it helped your mom and your family.

Vicki W said...

What lovely gifts to a great cause!

Gypsy Quilter Designs said...

That's terrific. I'm sure they'll be appreciated.

San / Gypsy Quilter Designs

Terri said...

U R good peoples, My Dear.54 is maybe as many quilts as I ever made. Bless you.

Mari said...

I love how you just casually mention that you donated 54 quilts. Phenomenal! And I'm sure every one of them was appreciated and loved, too.

Nancy said...

I'm sure your quilts will be well-loved by those who receive and use them, Alycia. They're simple yet beautiful.
My sister was a nurse with hospice for a lot of years. I did not realize that they might need quilts. I'll have to check into our local hospice centers. It takes me so long to make and quilt a quilt that I could probably manage one a year. Congrats to you for sending so many their way. I'm sure they love you for it!

Vivian said...

You keep finding them because they are now "angel blocks" not orphan blocks and we need them to replicate to meet the community needs, LOL!! You are the lead Angel too for all that you do.