Monday, January 30, 2023

December/ January Operation Christmas Child Knit Hats

Knitting hats.... okay - So I met a real knitter, and I had to specify Loom Knitting. Not because of her, because of me!! i told her I was knitting hats and she started talking all sorts of *real* knitting terms, and i swear.... it was like a foreign language....

So now, that I really know what I am doing now - and Know that it is called Loom Knitting....

I am s Loom Knitter haha!!

Here are my next group of hats, sadly it is December and January's combined... So I need to get moving!!


December's Hats  ^'



January's Hats ^   Blue was the RSC Color - so I went and grabbed all the blue I had left - and I truly only had enough for the hat on the left.... Which is good, I don't really want to start a stash of yarn. I think my husband would make me move out haha!!


Now!!!

Every time I post photos of the hats.. I get asked what pattern I use... and you all know I am a quilter ...not a knitter, so I never know how exactly to answer - but here is the what I do ;-)

We use these LOOMS:




and I followed this tutorial: Knit hat   and I made mine like this: 

To make the ones with a brim - you stitch 20 rows and fold in half ( back up on the loom) them make 30 more rows





 

I use the pink one for the kids hats, and the purple one for my husbands hats. 

and I just used the Green one to make my neighbor boys hats - they are 18mos and 3 mos - and they are so cute!!!!


10 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful!

Judy in Michigan said...

You have gotten me making these loom hats. So far, I've made 1.5!!! The first one came out quite nice but too small for my fat head. I used the lime size but I knew it wouldn't fit me so it will go to a shelter. Next the pink size and I think this will fit me.

My biggest problem is keeping the yarn from twisting. I ended up cutting the yarn, untangling, then joining the ends. How do you do this?

Thanks for all your help.

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ said...

Looking good. The hats I am making look lots bigger than yours. I'll send you a couple of pictures and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Sherrill said...

I've had that set of looms forEVER and have never used them!! Every great once in awhile, I'll think 'I need to learn to use those' and then I don't. How long does it take you to make a hat for your hubby?

loulee said...

And very cosy they look too. I'm sure they are appreciated.

chrisknits said...

It matters not how the stitching is accomplished, your hats are still just as warm as the hand knit hats I make! But if you ever want to create different shapes, knitting is easy! Says the person who couldn't learn it in her 20's but succeeded with her 2nd attempt in her 40's! LOL. It's all in the person teaching you and the hand which throws/picks the yarn.

Astrid said...

Pretty hats! I used to do a lot of knitting (in Norway, before I settled here), knitting the traditional way. I've heard of loom knitting, but never learnt what it is about. Thanks for the link, I have to check it out.

Delighted Hands said...

You are indeed a knitter! The hats are lovely! I like the way you use the RSC yarn colors each month! (Every craft has its own terminology! lol

Kathleen said...

That is a great way to do it. Fussing now with some on circular needles and not happy. Have fun creating and giving!

Bernie Kringel said...

This is so cool. Maybe I could do this - I am not successful with knitting - like with knitting needles. Hmm...