Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Happy Half Square Block 10

 I think I am getting close enough to start imagining a quilt out of these blocks!!

First!! I got a few new emails last week about what size are these... and of course - they were no reply commentors....  the answer - ANY SIZE you want!!  you basically need 16 half squares to make each block - so you can determine the size you want them to be.

Me? I am using 5 inch squares - so my half squares are 4 1/2 inches - yes  it is big - BUT!! I have a size 15 shoe box FULL of 5 inch squares that my Little Bit cut for me - so I am excited to be using them!


Alright - onto Block TEN!

This is my final color choice on this one ... 



But!! you could chose to do the colors more like this - half and half....


Or you could make the blues be the inside and make a spinner ....


So for this one - I stitched my half squares in to squares of the way I wanted the geese to look - 
then I put together the 4 squares..... 

And of course, when I was stitching it I had a niggling feeling I have played with this block before.... and so I went digging in my stack of quilts - and Looky what I found!!


I know that I made it years ago - as I can remember home schooling my boys and quilting, and I also remember I was learning about McTavishing... and I thought - Oh ya - I will do that ALL over this quilt... and I did about a 3 inch by 12 inch piece - and quickly moved to feathers... I mean! I did want to get it done..... haha!!   ( and since it was my quilt, I did NOT tear out the McTavishing quilting)

Ms Kat https://scrapboxquilts.blogspot.com/  worked her Mock up magic again!!  my photo was not the best - as I didn't get it square on, so that little bit of blue showing.... that is my cutting board!! ( lesson learned)










I am really starting to like these on point ones!!!


Hope you are having fun!! I have a tab at the top of the blog where I have been linking all of the past blocks, some of you have said you are saving them for later.... so I am to help.

I also created a Quiltygirl HHST pinterest page page...it gives me grief - but here it is just in case you are a Pin type person.


Quiltygirl Ebay      Quiltygirl Etsy    

6 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

I like the version with the blues in the center for a pinwheel and the reds on the outside. With more blocks, the reds would also join into its own little contortion.

Delighted Hands said...

I think I would jumble the colors so the pinwheel wouldn't show up as much. Great settings!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Dutchman's Puzzle is a great quilt block! I have several in my Christmas-y Orphan Block bin. Thanks to Kat for the quilt mock-ups!

Vicki W said...

OK, this is funny. While working on on my quilt based on the other block I decided it was too fiddly to keep up with positioning of the pieces for a vacation sewing project. I decided on something simpler and it's this block!

Kate said...

Another fun and versatile block. There's so many options with HSTs.

Susan said...

One of my favorite all-time blocks, though I've always made geese without the hst before. Thanks!