Monday, April 04, 2011

Design Wall Monday

A lot got done this weekend, because - altho Saturday was gorgeous, the winds came up, and just so you know - riding horses with the sand blowing, is not as much fun as one mught think..... unless you were REALLY wishing for a sand facial....

And then Sunday - It snowed - awesome!!

So here is what's on my design floor. Just sewing the backings together now so I can quilt them!
 This is the Red Jelly Roll quilt from our sew day - I added two borders to it, and I have to say - I LOVE it!!!

It turned out to be 59 x 69 so I think that will defineatly work for a Quilt of Valor.
This was the one that was a little narrow - so I had some friendship star blocks left over from a quilt show - they are all signed, so I added those, and then,.....

I added those half string blocks - that were extras from another QOV project. It is now 58 x 68 ... perfect!


Alright - off to finish the backs and start a little quilting!!

To see others design walls go to
http://www.patchworktimes.com/

20 comments:

Kerry's Quilting said...

What a great way to use a Jelly Roll- and red is my favorite color.

swooze said...

Great quilts! Really love the effect of the stars on the strip quilt.

Bonnie said...

Alycia these all look great. You must have much better left overs then I do! In fact, I don't even have all that much red fabric cause I love it and use it a lot! Like the stars one. Hurray for 3 more quilts almost done. B.

krisgray said...

Great quilts -love what you did to widen that second one.

Kathie said...

Very cool, I love how you used leftover blocks in the one quilt.

Anonymous said...

Alycia,

These quilts are gorgeous! I love what you did with the one that was so narrow....now it reminds me of the flag. What a treasure for someone!

Bari

Chris said...

I love making those fast jelly roll quilts and they turn out so cute. Perfect for a soldier.

Vicki H. said...

Those quilts look wonderful and will be so appreciated. I need to make a quilt of valor myself. There. I committed to it this year. :)

It snowed here too, with a thunder storm. Weird spring and hopefully the 40's this week will melt what's left in the snow deparment.

Quiltsmiles said...

Thnose look fabulous Alycia. The recipients will really love these. Kudos for your strength and commitment to the QOV. I salute you and love that you do what you do.
Kindest regards,
Jane

Donna said...

Great way to use leftovers! I'm sure some soldier will be happy to get it.

Paula, the quilter said...

What a fabulous finish on that last one!

Silverthimble said...

I love your Jelly Roll quilts--in particular the second one! I love those additional touches of the blocks down the side! Well done!

Melinda said...

Both of the quilts turned out great and a wonderful size for QOV. Great job.

Melinda in CT said...

What a creative mind you have. The second quilt idea is brilliant.

Quilter Kathy said...

2 fabulous quilts...way to go!

Mary said...

I love your creative use of friendship stars and string blocks to finish out this quilt. What a great way to put leftover items in your stash to use, and the quilt is beautiful.

Sue Daurio said...

those are fantastic, love the one with the stars and string blocks. I agree with others, briliant

Helen in the UK said...

LOVE your jelly roll quilts! Great 'creative' enlargement of the second one. I'm sure they'll be well appreciated by their recipients :)

cynthia in TX said...

I like the ideas for strip piecing, Alycia. I am planning to use your signature star idea soon. :) I don't often have a lot of left over blocks but I have plenty of scraps.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Unknown said...

I have to say the one with the siggy stars is my favorite! And this is one pattern I also have not liked, for various reasons...but made like that, it is awesome!