Thursday, June 19, 2008

QOV Sew Day

Today was the Quilt of Valor Sew Day with my Moms Group of Ladies. At first we thought there would be 5, then 7, and 12 showed up! It was great. I think all of them were fairly beginning quilters, and maybe a few who had not done it before. By the time I had to leave they were pretty proficient and ready to finish this quilt. Oh AND ready to start another one!
~
A couple of the ladies were quite proficient in cutting, so between them and all the rest of us 18 quilts were cut out, and taken home to sew up. And we set another sew day... I think they are all hooked! My mom has been bitten by the quilt bug. She can't wait to see how her color choices work out!
~
My Dad, along with the Pastor, and a husband of one quilter made us Lunch - BBQ! And there were enough snacks to keep my kids Way full. And - this is the best part. My Dad sent me home with enough food for dinner - so NO cooking for me. It was a really fun day, and I sure enjoyed myself. I was able to answer questions, and help show how to use rotary cutters. The Best part is - they believed me :-)
~
The Heartstrings Group (http://www.heartstringsquiltproject.com) sent me some String blocks, and I had a few so I gave them to my oldest son to design a quilt and get started on. As he started laying them out on the ground he gained a helper. She was one of 2 little girls that accompanied a quilter - and they were adorable.
~
She was very proud of the design they came up with. J Did get started sewing it together - but then he got distracted by a basketball. He has a month to get it together... Better get working!
~
All in all - a great day. I spent time with a great bunch of ladies. Addicted them to my passion, got fed well, and we will have some great Quilts of Valor soon!
~
Hope you all are having a great one!




4 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

Sounds like a brilliant day!! Everyone took part, enough food for all day and LOTS of sewing done - perfect :)

Lori said...

Looks like so much Fun. I love to teach Newbies.And children ...They have no fear yet.Creativity seeps(sp?) from them....

I wish I was there...

Thanks for sharing.

Vicki W said...

really like that string quilt layout! Congratulations on a very productive day!

Jeanne said...

What a great sewing day! Eighteen quilts cut out and a dozen enthusiastic quilters make for quite the combination. I see some of my string blocks in the layout. How fun!