Thursday, June 12, 2008

Kids and Quilts of Valor

On Monday and Tuesday I spent the days at my Mom and Dads Church helping out with their Vacation Bible School. They wanted to do a Community Service project and so my Mom volunteered me to teach them about QOV. It was actually very fun and the kids were way to cute. They seperated them into 2 different groups - 4 to 1st grade, and 2nd grade to 6th grade.
~
I had kind of forgot about the attention span of the youngest group. I found I had a lot in common with them. You have GOT to keep things moving or they start moving!
~
I got to spend some time telling them about all the soldiers that get these quilts and of course they wanted to make one. So we used crayons and markers and they colored these blocks. One of the ladies at Church had sewn all the borders around the blocks for us. After the kids made the blocks then they got to make get well cards and letters too. They were just adorable.
~
In the top pic you can see one of the quilts put together already.. The pictures were just wonderful. There was a soldier with a helmet, there was a robot, a transformer car, a flag, stars, a soldier climbing a hill... what great artists we have!
~
We made enough blocks for 3 more quilts! So Stay tuned for the finished product!
~
Anyways - didn't want you all to think that I might get bored over the summer.. and miss all the kids at school. I have found them elsewhere ;-) ( or rather they found me - but it works!)
~










2 comments:

Vicki W said...

How cute! What a great day!

Jessica said...

What a great idea! I may see if I can get a project going for DS's class in the fall...