Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Joshua Tree In color

Thank you for indulging me in my Love of Black and White photos. I think they are just amazing, but! I will be honest - the color of a desert sunset is truly amazing.

We hiked all over during the day to find the perfect spot to watch the sunset. and it was totally worth it!


Aren't these views amazing?


But enough of that - you are here for the Sunset!!


We chose a spot where there were mountains, Joshua Trees and facing west...


I had the best time playing with my camera settings to see how I could get the shadows to "be shadowy-ier" and Still get the amazing color of the sunset.


Sometimes it worked.....


Sometimes it didn't - but seriously = nothing can be all bad when I have this view!!!




Oh!! also - we found Palm Trees!!!
There are a few entrances into Joshua Tree. One day we went through 29 Palms - and in 29 Palms is an oasis - and the History of how the name 29 Palms came to be.


The Indian tribe that had lived in the area was having trouble birthing males. All the babies were girls. so they went to their Medicine Man and asked him what to do.



He told them to pull up stakes and move to this specific location, and set up their lives. In the first year they lived here he told them they would have males.


And for each Male born in the first year of living here they needed to plant a palm tree.
Guess how many males were born that year?


Yep!! 29.... and so became 29 Palms!!!

The original location is like a little oasis in the desert - It was very lush before civilization really moved this way and started taking the water. Now they rely on a water system to keep this oasis alive.


linking up to:
Through My Lens at Mersad Donko
My Corner of the World at my World Thru my Camera Lens




Find me at all these places:

    
Etsy           Instagram           Facebook


6 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful story and I liked the 'reason'for the 29 palm trees! That sunset is gorgeous!

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ said...

Gorgeous pictures and I love the story about how 29 Palms got its name.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Thanks for sharing the fabulous photos and the interesting history.

Mystic Quilter said...

There is nothing quite like watching sunsets, these photos are stunning with the Joshua tree in the foreground. When we sailed from UK to New Zealand many, many years ago I spent every evening hanging on the deck rail watching the sun set over nothing but ocean, heavenly.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Alycia, thanks for sharing that wonderful story and your amazing sunset pictures. Joshua Tree NP is one of my favourite parks. I'll be looking out for 29 Palms the next time that we are there!

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

I realy want to take a walk at your place.