Monday, July 11, 2022

Hiking the Rails



One morning we thought it would be great to head to the High Country. It was warm at our house... so we grabbed jackets, Puppy and plenty of water... and headed up!!

Surprise!!! there was really snow!! ( not a lot, but still!)

 

By the time we got to where we wanted to go... the Snow was all gone! and it was a beautiful 60 degree day. Perfect for hiking




This trail used to be a railway in the late 1800's to bring food to mining camps. it was awesome!



Puppy was the leader!  Until we saw a Deer on the trail. I picked him up real quick. I didn't know if he would scare the deer - but better safe than sorry.....

He liked the little rest - but then was ready to go again!



Trees!!


And us!


The views were gorgeous!!



We played I spy... I see a thing that goes up high in the sky.... ( did you ever watch Brother bear?)


The hike was great - a little ways in one of us ( okay my husband) said - we better check the time - and Holee Buckets we had been hiking for 3 hours!! it was definitely time to turn around and go back.


But at those temps - it just doesn't seem rough at all!

In our area - there are a lot of Microbreweries. One of them expanded into wine, so you know we had to stop and do a little wine tasting. It helped that they also serves pizza and charcuterie trays!!






Linking with
Through My Lens

8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Okay, a hike and wine afterwards - the perfect combination! I didn't know Odell's had wine now. We're going to have to try that! Can I ask where you got to the trailhead? It looks like a nice one!

Delighted Hands said...

beautiful hike and I know just the episode from LIttle Bear you mean! lol
I had to look up what a charcuterie board is!

Quiltdivajulie said...

SO beautiful. And how nice that you finished off your adventure with a stop at the winery.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Hiking a rail line is great because you know that it will not be too steep of a grade. When we go to Old Forge in the Adirondacks this year, I plan on doing a rail bike ride that they just added on an old rail line. Your photos are gorgeous.

Fun60 said...

It looks the perfect place for a walk especially with some wine tasting at the end.

Vicki W said...

That's a beautiful hike and the weather is perfect. We're doing a 9 mile hike in the Shenandoah Thursday and I expect it's going to be hot as hades until we get up some elevation. We'll take our time and have lots of water.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Sounds like a pretty fab day to me, especially with wine to finish it off. Thanks for taking us along on your adventure.

betty-NZ said...

What a great day for a hike! Love your scenery along the way.

Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!