Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Surprise

I have a story to tell you about all of this crazy weather.... but you have to promise not to laugh at me....

Promise? and no Judging..... ready?

Alright then.... here goes..



We are a stocker .. Farm to Table operation... ( my words - don't know what real ranchers call it)

I get calves after they have been weaned from Momma and raise them to go directly to the clients freezer and table, so I don't have Momma Cows, and I don't calve like the real ranchers, and I don't do babies.....

Until.... We did!!

I purchased some open ( which means not pregnant) heifers to feed out, and boy they are all just growing so well... and because we were feeding them out - not a one of us caught that one was getting fat in just one area....

Last Thursday morning we had a huge pressure shift, and I heard a rather strange mooing sound - so I looked out the window and SURPRISE!!! We had a baby calf.... in the 5 degree temps with a wind chill of negative 10.... just so you know - that's not a good time to be a wet calf....  

We have a barn - but... it was filled with hay - so Hubby and I moved a ton of hay in like 15 minutes. Well truth - he moved 3/4 of a ton , me, more like 1/4 ton , and we cleaned it out fast - and then he grabbed baby Surprise and and moved her into the barn and I grabbed hay and started rubbing her dry, while he was trying to move momma.   First time Moms sometimes are not aware of what they should be doing. 

We got Momma in the barn with baby and she was a little shocked!



But we left them together, and I ran to town to get Milk Replacer..... I just knew that if I didn't have it - we weren't going to get Baby to nurse, but if I had it! Insurance!! and then of course Momma would nurse her... that totally makes sense right? 

I called when I was in town to check on them and hubby says... I am warming towels in the oven, she is really cold .  My first thought - THE OVEN!!! and then - hey What towels are you using!!!! He laughed and told me not to worry about it.... so you all know I did!!



By the time I got back ( 2 hours) Momma was starting to like Surprise and within an hour she was nursing.

Surprise is 5 days old now and jumping and kicking and loving it in their little warm barn! We worried about the -30 degree nights but we had a little heater running in the barn, and they did just fine!!  YAY

So we are now first time Calf parents - Bwahh haha!!  



We called our sons and they all died laughing at us, and one says - so Mom - are you expanding the ranch... oh lawsy mercy - not unless they all come home!!  And the other says - Dad - why not they dryer... oh my gosh - I died - I was laughing so hard...I mean the dryer to warm towels ....

Hopefully it starts to warn up enough we can open up their door and let them get outside a bit - but right now... warmth is the key for this little one.... isn't she cute?? 


Oh and PS - we did the gestational math on how this one happened.... She was probably accidentally about 2 weeks pregnant when I bought her... maybe 3 - so most likely the vet missed it.... 

29 comments:

Quilt Mouse said...

It's always good to learn something new - towels in the oven, baby calf, all during the strangest cold weather in decades. Definitely not boring around your house!

Judy in Michigan said...

What a great story and I love the name Surprise!!

julieQ said...

Oh wow! I remember those days of February calves and lambs. Many times they would be in our laundry room, in the house, where I grew up in Colorado! She is a little doll face! Keep her, ok?

sue s said...

So, so funny! I never would have thought to use the dryer! You are turning out to be good heifer parents!

Anonymous said...

Love your story! Take care of Surprise!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, I did need a good story with a laugh today. So glad it turned out well for Mom and baby. When you are frantic, you don't always think clearly- but you got them warm and dry. Thanks for the post!

Sara said...

That really would be a big surprise to find that calf. Good job in saving here! I can't recall just how many newborn calves and lambs I had in the house during those farming years. My laundry room became the nursery more than once every winter.

Quiltdivajulie said...

She is adorable - and we use the dryer to warm things like towels (LOL).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a surprise! enjoy your new baby :)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

LOL! Heartwarming story!!!

Sheri said...

Ah so cute!! Thanks for sharing the story of Surprise!

Sherrill said...

She IS cute and so glad you guys caught the oopsie! Would've been so sad to have missed her in the deep freeze. We're having our own deep freeze here--not as cold as yours but DANG, when the heat is OFF for hours and hours, it's horrible.

Vicki W said...

Awww, what a great story!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you figured it out in time to save the little calf.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I'm surprised your hubby didn't just take the calf into the house & dry her with a blow dryer. I remember the days when my mom would have baby pigs in a box on the oven door of the old wood stove to save them when they were born on such cold days. Anyway it's good you got the baby warmed up and her mama accepted her or you would be the mama of a bottle calf.

Donna said...

Thanks for the great story!!! So glad Surprise and momma are doing well!!! Your hubby is never going to live down warming towels in the oven!! Ha!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderful Surprise! I know that was more work and will be. I enjoyed the story.

Vicki in MN said...

Does that make you grandma, LOL

Delighted Hands said...

What an enjoyable story--with a happy ending (or beginning!?) Congratulations for the new skills as new calf parents!

Unknown said...

Wow, you're right, things are never dull at your house. I'm so glad they were close to the house and barn, not far out on the range. Poor thing. Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen said...

That's quite the surprise! You did good taking care of them, as you must. Good luck with the next few days - I am sure the calf is out of the woods and that the weather will shift soon. I love the warming the towels in the oven!

Marcia in TX said...

You know you're not going to be able to put her on someone's dining room table. She is so cute.

Katy Sweigart said...

What a great story! Surprise is a perfect name. 😊

Kate said...

What a great story with a very happy, if surprising ending.

Preeti said...

What a heartwarming story. Guess life finds a way. What a darling Surprise!!! Do keep us posted.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a cutie! My grandfather raised cattle (small herd) and we got a side of beef every year for the cost of butchering. YUM! I miss that beef. Too bad you are so far away, or I'd consider buying some. Have fun with the calf, but remember, it's meat in the future.

Ellee said...

Surprise is a nice bonus. Congratulations on a rescue job well done.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

What a great story. A big surprise to say the least. Have fun and good luck.

Sandie Rosenthal said...

Hubby was smart by using the oven. When I worked in the ER and before we had blanket warmers, we use to warm our wet drunkards by putting blankets in the microwaves. Just had to be careful we didn't set them on fire, lol!