Tuesday, July 09, 2019

I read... a few books!

I read all these Book Reviews from other quilters - and I think.... I should do that.

And then I realize that I don't read as many books as others! So my goal this summer - is to read some books!!

The First one I picked up was:

 Lilac Girls 
-
It was such a great book - Historical Fiction - but VERY Historical

The story follows three different women through their experiences in WWII - and it is very well written.  I wanted to know more about the women when I turned the last page. I always think that is a good sign.

I will tell you one thing that really struck me, that I am sure I was taught - but never stuck with me. Women who were German - were even sent to Concentration camps. I guess I thought being German saved you....

Lost Roses

After reading Lilac Girls  - I followed up with her next book. It went a little farther back in time to WWI - and followed One of the same women, from the first book, her mother, and a Russian Princess

It was just as good! and the History. I love History - hate the way you have to memorize it in school. So this was perfect for me - I learned some cool history, and enjoyed the read!


and surprise!!! I read a Third Book!
I know!! Can you imagine!!!

The Lost Girls of Paris



This one was more loosely based on history. She had met a woman who she based the story off of, but some of the actual instances were things she thought would have happened. Either way - it was a great book about Secret Women Operatives and how they helped the Allies defeat the Axis powers during WWII.

Can you tell that I have been reading about a genre? I didn't intend that - but these titles really drew me in. and of course, we have been awarding Quilts of Valor to WWII Veterans... so I think that has peaked some of my interest.



9 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I enjoy historial fiction especially with strong female characters.

WeedyMama said...

Try "The Winter Garden" by Kristen Hannah. You can't put it down.

Laurielyn said...

I love historical fiction also! Thanks for sharing 😊

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW good to see you do something other than snap photos and make quilts!! :P

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those sound like the kind of books I'd like to read.

Terri said...

I love historical fiction, too. When you said you'd been reading I thought of this blogger that I read this morning. She's been reading about color in a historical way. Try this https://patcherymenagerie.blogspot.com/2019/07/oh-color.html
Hugs

just joan said...

Lilac Girls is a very good book! In the same genre I liked Born Survivors by Wendy Holden and The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah.

Vicki W said...

Thank you! I've added these to my list!

Anonymous said...

If you like historical fiction genre, I'm currently reading The island of sea women, by Lisa See. It's about the Korean all-female diving collective on Jeju Island. It begins in 1938 and goes until 1975. Very interesting, as other books by Lisa See that I have read are.