Monday, October 21, 2019

I went to a Farm Sale.. and my design wall

My design wall has not changed much over the last week...
I blame vacation - 
although if I was more dedicated I could have taken it with me 




BUT! the Farm sale
These sorta break my heart - but they are also pretty cool
We need a Mower for the back of our tractor so that is what took us to this sale.

We got there and they had 7 flatbed trailers filled with their personal items


aren't these two so cool?
That airplane went for $1900

and the car
$450


I sorta liked this tractor but I was told I couldn't drive it home.
and that He wouldn't build me another barn....sigh


I just thought this type writer was cool!


They also had a table of linens and things

They had some Hand embroidered Dish towels and I thought I would bid on them.
They got pretty pricey and it was the guy behind me bidding on them.
being one that always talks to anyone if its cool - I asked what he was planning on doing with all the dish towels 

he said these were made by his great aunt and weren't supposed to be in the auction
Broke my heart!
So he was buying them back for his family to have.

I wish he had told me - I wouldn't have ever bid on them!!
PS - he did win them so yay!

Off to hopefully make some progress! Vacation was fun , but my to do list is rather long. Have to get the horses all ready for winter, Quilt some clients quilts - and then!! I am going to stitch!!!!

11 comments:

jagarland said...

It’s so neat to see these oldies. I remember having that $450.00 little car when I was a kid.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those are all neat items you saw - I love going to sales like this but rarely buy anything

Quiltdivajulie said...

Seeing a family's life spread out for sale IS heartbreaking and like you, I would not have bid on those embroidered towels if I had known the story.

Preeti said...

Vacation is the best excuse for not quilting. Now that you are back I wish you lots of uninterrupted sewing time. Horses???

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW sad to hear about the mix-up with the dish clothes! I hate it when stuff like that happens.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I remember when my husband's uncle passed away. He had remained single all his life and lived in the parents' house until his death and all my hubby's grandmother's things were still there. Lots of embroidered pillow cases, towels, quilts, etc. They couldn't decide how to divide things up so everything was put on the auction. Of course the aunt with the most money bid things up and got all the best stuff. There were hard feelings for a while, but they eventually got over it. Dividing up family things is always hard.

RebeccaH said...

I used to have the Ford 8N tractor, that one is in good shape. My mom had that kind of typewriter too. Thanks for sharing these, it is good to get away now and again.

Farm Quilter said...

I'm so gad he got the embroidered towels his aunt made!! These sales are heartbreaking, especially when things go for really cheap. Hurts my heart. Love the plane and car and I'm glad the fetched appropriate prices. Did you get what you went for??

Phyllis in Iowa said...

Seeing that gray and red Ford tractor brought tears to my eyes. I grew up on a small Iowa farm. My childhood driving experience was learning to use that same tractor. I have not lived on a farm for five decades, but the fond memory lives on.

Thanks!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I would have bid on that typewriter. It is sad to go to an auction because there is usually a sad story that is involved with it, but hopefully the cash helps them.

Kate said...

Very cool stuff. That's so sad about the guy who was bidding on his aunts embroidery work. Someone must not have done their homework on what went and what didn't.