Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Quilt that had to Grow

 This Quilt was going to go on my UFO list but then I decided that it shouldn't be too hard to finish. Or at least shouldn't take too much time. I. Was. Wrong!

This pattern is called Forest Bricks from http://www.maryquilts.com/

I figured ( and that was the first problem) that I wanted it QOV size so it would only take 70 blocks.
And I would set them 7 x 10.


Today I had them in 10 block rows and set them into the top - and it measured 42 x 60..... not quite the 55 x 65 that I was going for!!! Then I figured out why - each block only finished at 6 inches, and apparently my multiplication skills are lacking.

I headed downstairs and found some more red and more bubble fabric and added a row, and it still wasn't big enough! So I added MORE!




 And then I added MORE!
Finally - I had the appropriate size! I have it set at 9 x 11 which comes out to 54 x 66, and I needed 99 blocks - not the 70 I originally started with.

Shew - Done! - Almost.... It still needs a backing and quilting - but that will come right?

10 comments:

LizA. said...

Mmmm, I like this. The string pieces add a lot of interest to the quilt. I might have to dig into my stash for one of these.....

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

In the end it must have been worth it because the quilt looks beautiful.

Amy said...

OH! NEAT pattern! Love the colors and will add that to my 'to-make-someday" list.

marilyn said...

I tell my students you don't need math when you get old, but then most of them won't be quilters! I like to just sew and not think too. I love the colors on your quilt and need to get off this computer and sew one of these too :) Great job.

jane m. said...

love this quilt! thanks for making that little 'mistake'. Now i don't have to!!!

Jan Mac said...

I love the quilt too Alycia. It would be a great way to use up some small strips. Good on you for sticking with it.

Cheryl Willis said...

Nice job, when my quilt need to grow up it usually is by adding a couple of borders. my theme for next year is piano key! ( I just got a 2 1/2" strip die) cw

Kate said...

Very pretty! Don't you hate it when you get the math wrong! Even so, it looks like you recovered nicely!

Teaquilts said...

I like your quilt that just had to grow!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so like something I would do! The quilt is beautiful though!

I like the new look on your blog also.

Bari