Wednesday, March 30, 2022

The Royal Gorge Train and the Abbey Winery

Spring Break happened - and I got So lucky!!

Two of my kids had the same spring break, and those same two had to work most of the week - but!!! They were able to get away for a short break and hang out with us....

Instead of putting them to work fixing fence - we all escaped!!!

The first thing on our list?

The Royal Gorge Train!!



Its a train that goes up the Royal Gorge Canyon in Canon City along the historic Denver and Rio Grande Railways. I happen to love trains - so just getting on one is cool!

In 1882 this was the transcontinental link from Denver to Salt Lake.... I have a feeling this was NOT the most direct route to get there!!

We got a dining car with a window roof, and the seating was very much the same as in the 1880's.... I think people were not as tall back then - my poor 6'7" and 6'5" sons' legs had trouble... but we all managed!


We really enjoyed ourselves - we had lunch on the train, then wandered out to the observation cars. Our car had amazing windows tho ( my shade is shut for the photo but you can see the windows over Little Bits head.)


The plane going over the train!!! and that above me - is the Royal Gorge Bridge!!! Holee cow - it is up there!!

This is the side of the canyon - see that tube thing? That was how they got water to the city in the 1800's. It DOES NOT LOOK SAFE!   In Canon City - Colorado's first Territorial prison was built, before we could become a state. 

So when they needed to build water lines, they had a whole prison full of laborers - and this was built by them. It is no longer in use, but I tell you, some of the place this *tube* went.... you could not have forced me to build there!




I really suck at selfies... but I was trying to get us and all the windows in the background. 

The train was awesome - we loved seeing everything.
After the ride we headed over to the
Holy Cross Winery at the Abbey
for wine tasting
( and purchasing)



To me, it is very interesting that what they can grow in this area of Colorado is so different than our area. That they grow enough grapes to even start wine is impressive. They offer a red blend wine that is a blend of local growers in town.  So if you have a little backyard grape vine - you can sell your grapes to them and they create this blend of all the local grapes. I love it!!

Of course, they have a LOT of other varieties and have won awards, but I really liked the community idea.

Our tour guide told us the Abbey was built in early 1900's ( or somewhere around there) to help the community , and to stop the interference of the KKK.  I only found a little about that - but our tour guide who told us that has been in the area for a LONG time... so I will believe him.

It was a short trip - but you know.. I have more blog posts ( and photos!!) about it right?



10 comments:

Linda said...

What fun to have both kids home and do a special getaway. I've been over the Royal Gorge and did not realize there was a train ride through it. Glad you had a great trip!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Looks like a fun trip and glad you enjoyed your family time!

Judy in Michigan said...

So interesting!! Love trains too. Back in '76 I took the narrow gauge RR from Durango to Telluride. Sat in one of the first cars. Coal engine!! I was covered in coal soot from head to toe!! So much for sitting close to the engine!! Every part of my scalp had little bits of coal stuck to it. I liked your train travel much better!!!

Kathleen said...

That looks like an awesome trip! So fun to see your kids and spend time with them.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a super trip, wow. It had to be breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

WeedyMama said...

I wanna go tooooo.

What you saw in the 'tube' thing looks like a wire wrapped wooden aqueduct. The remains of one goes through my property too, but the only thing left are the mysterious coils of wire.

Glad you had a get-away.

cityquilter grace said...

wow what a great trip...thanks for sharing...

Delighted Hands said...

What a great day trip--all new to me and I enjoyed your trip vicariously!!

sue s said...

How nice you could squeeze in a short trip! Looks like a fun time.

grammajudyb said...

What fun to share your Spring Break with us. Riding that train in on my bucket list! Now that I know about the Abbey Winery, I'll add that too!
I'm looking forward to more photos!!!!