Thursday, April 08, 2021

Outstanding Blogger Award

Well this just made my week!!  Melva Nominated me for an Outstanding Blogger award.

If only she knew that this was just my way to get my words out without annoying my husband haha!!

This is just so sweet! Thank you!!

Alright - there is a job that comes with it - you have to answer the 5 questions that she asked... Oh boy!


How did you get started with quilting?

Totally By ACCIDENT!!! My dad was a Firefighter/EMT. He got Called to Ground Zero in New York on September 12th 2001 - the day after. He worked with many many many Firefighters, emergency personnel etc and they all traded patches from the various departments.


He came home with about 40 patches. He wanted a cool way to display them. I, being a seamstress - I owned a Maternity Manufacturing Company - brilliantly thought - wow lets make a quilt and put them on it! Well the patches continued to grow in number as I was planning the quilt. So I just added more blocks. I had decided to make a log cabin quilt - because that looked easy to me....(cough cough sputter spew) I had never used a rotary cutter. Nevertheless I conquered - and ended up with a King Plus size quilt with all these patches. I did not have a long arm ( now I do) did not know such machines existed, so I threw the monster on my little Janome and struggled to sew the patches on it.

Then not know that binding was a separate step, I folded the back over, mitered it and stitched it down - with the machine. It took forever! But it was done. It now resides on my Dads bed and is looked on with a lot of love.

Well it isn't perfect, but it was the intro to quilting. I had a lot of fun with that quilt, so I got a quilting magazine. There was a picture of a blue and white quilt I just loved - so I decided to make it for my Cousin and his new wife. I asked them there favorite colors, found the quilt shop ( who knew those things existed) walked in and told her ( she is now a great friend) I want to make this quilt in these colors. How do I do that? and voila - a quilter was born! Now I have a long arm and everything!!

What is your Favorite Block?

Umm too easy!  Churn Dash  - I even put one in my little header thing!!


Do you Participate in a quilt Club or Guild?

I do!! I belong to the Pieceable Friends Quilt guild in Greeley CO!

Have you ever entered a Quilt in a Competition?

I have! 


I was asked - as a new quilter - to join a group of ladies who were very excellent quilters to make a challenge quilt for a competition in Berthoud. You each had to make 3 blocks, and make 4 of each - one for each participant. Then we could set them the way we wanted - all of us using the same fabrics. and have it quilted and then all 4 quilts were the *competition* against other groups of 4.

I was terrified - I made my blocks while sitting at one of the *excellent* quilters house, to make sure ALL the measurements were correct. I am not sure that I have stressed over something so much - but! Our group won. ( I am sure it was because of one of the other ladies quilt... but Hey! I am claiming it!)

That was my top - I can't not find a photo of it quilted - so Heck... there's something to take photos of!!


What is something you enjoy doing outside of the quilting world?


Oh boy.... Lots of things... Roping, Riding, Taking Photos, Hiking, and get this... I am actually starting to enjoy cooking.... I actually really like to be outdoors when I can. 


So there you go - more than you wanted to know about me... haha!!



Thanks Melva for the Nomination: 

Now - To nominate a few others:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts.  You should see this quilters amazingness!!

Donnaleeq - she has an amazing array of coolness!


Here are your Questions Quilters:  ( the same ones Melva gave me )

★  How did you get started with quilting?

★  What is your favorite block?

★  Do you participate in a quilt club or guild?

★  Have you ever entered a quilt in a competition?

★  What is something you enjoy doing outside of the quilting world?


Enjoy!!

15 comments:

Linda said...

What a treat to read your post Alycia. Your first quilt story is very meaningful, and it’s so nice to learn more about you. Congratulations!

sue s said...

Congrats! This has been fun and interesting to follow. I'm learning lots about the quilters I follow.

Donna said...

I love the story on how you got started quilting!!! I started because I wanted to make a baby quilt for my upcoming nephew. I think lots of people get started that way.

patty a. said...

The quilt you made your Dad with the patches is wonderful! What a great way to honor your Dad and all the rescue groups that worked so hard during such a tragic event. Congratulations on being nominated!

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is nice to know some more about you. I have benefitted from your quilting in the form of mystery quilts and RWB quilts as well as other techniques. You always inspire me with your photography.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats - awesome story about your Dad’s quilt!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Fun read and Thanks! Alycia!

Kathleen said...

Congrats on the nomination! Thanks for posting and sharing...always fun to learn more.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So fun to read your post, Alycia! I love the story of your first quilt - so special. I think we all have had a lot of "on the job" training! Congratulations on being an Outstanding Blogger!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What fun to learn a bit more about how you an how you came to quilting. Thanks for sharing, Alycia!

Kathy E. said...

How fun to be nominated for this award and also allow us to learn a bit more about you! Those first quilts are so memorable and it's inspiring to look back to know how much we've learned since then.

Anonymous said...

What a cool story about how you got started. I bet the firefighter patch quilt looks incredible. Congrats on your team quilting competition win!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Pat said...

Thanks for sharing this! Nice to learn more about you. I love your first quilt and your story.

Delighted Hands said...

Good for you! I enjoyed reading your answers! It's a wonderful life you life!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

That is the most interesting "entre into quilting" story I have ever heard! That was a charming interview.