Thursday, August 17, 2017

Missouri

Very first off - Holly.... no! I did not see Kevin's Mystery Quilt in its totality.... I think he hid it from me, and he hid it well - there was no trace of it anywhere!!  (I am not saying I looked or anything, or moved some fabric in the off chance it would be hiding... nope.... not me!)

So.... I like you, will have to work on Clue #2 and wait for #3 to come out *sigh*

But!!! I did see the Mississippi River.... and some Quilt shops... and the St Louis Arch - and traffic... St Louis has lots of traffic.... I live on a country road.... my traffic is bunnies and snakes... and the errant cow....

I took my camera out and we hiked around ....  Ready???

First we went to the Mississippi River.... Holy cow - that is a big river!!


And these barges travel up and down it.
I am sure many of you have seen these.... but I haven't
( that I can remember)


That's a barge that as already come thru the locks ( above)
(Below)  a barge coming through the locks.

The Barge man ( I do not know what they call them) says it takes about 20-30 minutes to get through the locks and start on the other side.



The barges are tied together, and I think 18 are tied together.
They take the place of a LOT of semi trucks over the road





and across the Levee thing that we were walking on it this great house.
It's lifted - ha ha - I thought we should buy it and make it a retreat center.
and then I heard it was lifted because the river floods
and Colorado looked even better



I happened to be there on a day when it was not too humid,
so watching the sun go down was pretty cool and breezy - 
I liked it





I got to take a tour of the area - just checking out some cool things - and yelling - *stop!!* I want to take a photo.... ha ha - I like being the boss!!




This is an elevator thingy, that they used to load up the barges in the river at one time. I don't know, and forgot to ask if its still in use?




Another Sunset - just because....


Check out this house!! It is SO high!! Can you imagine being there when the water got that high?  I was Wondering if they had a boat or a life raft for just in case?


Then we went to St Charles - the old town part. and it was So charming! We stopped at a quilt shop ( or 5) and checked out all the goodies...


Then we went and checkout out the historical stuff
this was the sight of the Worlds Fair - and I forgot what year - maybe 1904?
I read the plaque and I think the area spanned over 1200 acres and was one of the biggest worlds fairs ever.




And check out this horse.... This was a huge statue - and of course - a Horse!! i had to take a photo!


Then I had to go home... they kicked me out and Missouri said I couldn't stay....

just kidding... I hit the road early in the morning , and drove the whole 12 1/2 hours home.

I saw a lot of Corn, Soybeans and Cows.... and semi trucks....



Linking with:
Through My Lens

13 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing your views of St. Louis. Glad to hear that you made it home safely!! You may not have seen Kevin's Sapphire Star Mystery, but I saw his A6 posted at the top of your FB page. LOVE his super scrappy version!!!!

Judy V in Thornton CO said...

I enjoyed seeing your photos! I would have loved to check out the quaint quilt store; it looks like a sweet place....

Libby in TN said...

Fun photos. Surely you've heard the song lyrics "Meet me in St. Louie, Louie." They were meeting at that Fair!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh I am CERTAIN you saw a lot of semi-trucks. Even between here and the other side of TN (a 7+ hour drive) we see more trucks than we do cars! Fun photos to remember your Missouri visit.

Gypsy Quilter said...

That's a lot of driving. Glad you were able to have a break in the middle and visit some fun places.

Barob Book Blog said...

Wonderful pictures Alycia! It good to see that you got together with Kevin to dream up new projects for yourselves and you saw some beautiful sites along the way.

Pat said...

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Carlie Nichols said...

Awesome pictures and trip I'm sure. Sleep tight. You deserve it;-)Carlie

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous journey! Thanks for documenting it for us. If you hit the Mississippi River in Missouri on a not very humid day, you were more fortunate than you know! =) Beautiful sunsets!

Kevin the Quilter said...

I love seeing things through your eyes! You are an artist with many talents! Glad you could join us in the Show-Me state for a while! We miss you!

A Colorful World said...

Great shots of the Mississippi! And I loved the sunset with the tree. Really nice photos of your visit to this city!

rupam sarma said...

Amazing pics

Kate said...

St. Louis is an amazing city. Glad you got to see Kevin and hang out a bit. That's a long drive home!