Thursday, October 04, 2012

The Changing of the Quilts

I think... possibly that winter is just around the corner - it seems that we may have snow this weekend.... and yesterday was 82 - interesting things going on....

So I had the changing of the quilts!  Yes - I do have quilts out for the summer, as I get cold!! If it's under 70 - I am cold ... so there ;-)  Plus I love Quilts!! So I put away the patriotic quilts, and the little quilt that Grandma made me when I was a baby - just a few years ago ( no comment!!)

So now I have my cowboy quilt laying over one couch. I made this a few years ago, and when I had it all layed out on the floor, I had a visitor. She could not fathom why I was making this quilt - when I had no intended recipient.

I should probably call her and tell her I was the recipient - although I didn't know it would be me at the time!!



And my glow in the dark Halloween one... Middle bit got dragged to a quilt show with me a lot of years ago ( probably before I was even born - tee hee) and he saw these fabrics. Once the saleslady told him they glowed in the dark - he was relentless. and that is how my stash was born ( right??)


This one was a group quilt. four of us made different blocks, exchanged them, and set them. All four of us entered the same quilt show and we won a group prize. I chose a sewing machine roller cart deally.  Some day I should go take pictures of the others's quilts - it was fun!


This one - hanging here on my art rack was made by my friend Pat - she loves me. And she really really needed to give me this - cuz I pestered her, and bothered her, and poked her, and ...well you get the point - that relentlessness came from some where!! ( poor middle bit)
And last, but not least - my bed. This one was made by my friend Denise, and quilted by me. We made a trade - I got the better end of the deal! She pieced the top for me, I quilted some quilts for her. I think her quilts were gifts, mine... not so much!!!

The pattern was based on a picture in the book "The Quilt that Walked to Golden" bu Sandra Dallas. My mom bought me that book for Christmas one year, and I just fell in love with the picture of this quilt. Of course, the picture was in Black and White.....

And this is not a changing of the quilts - but proof that I get up every morning!! This was the sunrise two days ago - and I saw THE. WHOLE. THANG!!!  It was gorgeous !

Now they tell us snow is coming.
we want the snow - but not till Sunday please...

Being as we had a drought all summer, the last cutting on the hay field was yesterday - and we want it to stay dry enough to bale today and Friday and get it all covered Friday and Saturday... So wish us luck okay?

Cuz - we kind of need that hay to make it through the winter.... *sigh*

Have a great day!!


10 comments:

Nancy said...

"They" tell us here that snow is coming Friday, and if the current temperatures are any indication, I am a believer. Brrr! I would welcome "some" moisture, but I sure don't want mounds of it, yet.

beaquilter said...

you inspire me to change out some quilts too. I have ONE quilt I really need to just make a hanging sleeve for, then hang it up.

Ranch Wife said...

I haven't been quilting long enough to have enough quilts to change out, but you make me want to sew, sew, sew! I love hearing the memories associated with each treasured quilt! We've had those sunrises and sunsets too - just gorgeous. Sending prayers that the snow holds off until Sunday. We went from 95 yesterday to 55 this morning.

Terri said...

Sending prayers your way...
Hugs

Sherrill said...

YIKES, SNOW?!! I would HATE that! Sure hope we don't get ANY! HA Hey just a quick question--what size did you say QOV's need to be? Wanna get em big enough.

Paula, the quilter said...

Watch out for those hay thieves. They've been active over here. Goin' right in a loading up the hay and takin' off. Sheriff says to move your hay closer to your home and outbuildings and not leave it too far afield.

Missy Shay said...

Your visitor was obviously not a quilter and does not understand the need to quilt, even if you don't know what you are going to do with it!
What a beautiful sunrise!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Always enjoy coming to your mini quilt shows. Hope the haying goes well. I know how unpredictable your weather can be.

Kate said...

Great quilts. Hope the snow holds off till Sunday. We're hoping for no cold rain as DT's school has Fun Night on Saturday.

Sue Daurio said...

nice, I like when you have the changing of the quilts, cuz we get a fantastic show :) Wonderful quilts. And that sunrise, goodness gracious that is beautiful!! Snow??? First you say Christmas is coming and now you say snow, yikes, next time I'm just looking at the pictures :)