Monday, January 22, 2018

Scrappy Heart Quilt Block Tutorial

I am so tickled so many of you liked my Heart quilt - and the amount of requests for my pattern blew my mind..... are you ready???

Here is my pattern :


Technical Right???


So I am going to walk you through it
I used 2 1/2 inch strips - I chose random lengths - all over 10 inches
( you could use 5, but I had longer ones and I wanted to stitch quick)
.

After you have 4 strips sewn together.
I sub cut them into 5 inch pieces
So now I have the half pieces - they are 
5 inches by 8 1/2 inches

Then for the outer corner of the hearts I used 2 1/2 inch squares.
I stitched a 1/4 inch seam, sliced off the extra dog ear, and used that for the inner piece of the heart
( see I saved ALL the scraps)

you can kinda see this process in the right top of the photo below
I apologize I don't have a ton of photos
I had no idea anyone would want to know how I did it ;-)

For the bottoms of the heart
I used 5 inche squares
Folded them in half and stitched along the line

Then I made another stitch about 1/4 inch away
( see the bottom left of the photo below)

I saved those pieces and made scrappy half squares



So each heart measured 9 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches

I ran out of strips
( okay not really, I just got tired of making hearts)

so I started throwing them up on the design wall


I filled in the parts with solid white squares of 9 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch pieces
Then I used all of those scrappy Half Squares from the bottom of the hearts
and made a border.


Ta da!
That is how I did it
I hope that helps some of you


If you make something like it - I would love to see it - I think they are SO fun!!
Enjoy!!

Linking to:
Design Wall MOnday
Main Crush Monday
Mondya Making

10 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Your hearts are darling, not just the block itself, but I also love the way you sort of scattered them across the quilt top rather than lining them up in rigid rows. Very cool.

Donna said...

Thanks for the pattern!!! I love the directions and that you used every scrap!!!

Alla Blanca said...

You IZ awesome!!! So responsive to us, your loyal fans. No judgement here on the "professionalism" of the pattern: you got it up on a blog, out for the world to see!
This is a great lesson for me, who always has the perfectionist demon whispering in my ear, keeping me from getting stuff DONE.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Alycia,
I love your technical, well written pattern design! That's how my official patterns start too. HAHA! And no one has ever asked me about mine . . . I must be doing something wrong. JK! Such a cute block and a great use of those 2.5" scraps, right?!! I'm going to PIN this because I am looking for a QOV pattern that is different and aimed for women, and this fits the bill. I think, anyway. ~smile~ Roseanne

Linda C said...

Looks like hot air balloons floating in the morning sunlight! Think I might just start one today!

Linda C said...

Looks like hot air balloons floating in the early sunlight! Beautiful! Thank you for the creative idea.

Dorothy said...

Love it. Thanks for showing us how to do

LA Paylor said...

created fabric, like your hearts is so interesting because of the variations. Can't buy that!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

The hears are cool, the quilt is cool, the pattern is cool, YOU is cool! ;) I love that there's so much negative space for quilting.

Anonymous said...

Love your version of the heart block and the quilt you made from it.