Friday, November 16, 2007

Quilts of Valor and our crazy day.

Today was a wonderfully busy, crazy, wonderful, amazing day....

Our 5th grade class had delivered our Quilts of Valor to Fort Carson in May. We never expected to hear from a soldier, let alone get to meet him when he was able. But in September Specialist Kyle was injured from a morter attack while on a misson. He was flown from the field to Bagdad for treatment, and then on to Landstuhl in Germany, after a brief trip to Walter Reed he found himself at Fort Carson - Evans Hospital. Fort Carson is where he recieved one of the quilts our kids made. We also sent a photo album with each quilt.

He was able to get convalence leave to head home to Wyoming, where he sent us a letter and offered to come to the school. Well today was the day. I had the priveledge of taking him, his mother ( an AMAZING woman), and father to lunch( VERY cool dude!!). They were the neatest people. After lunch they went with me to the school and he talked to 108 5th graders and many parents. 12 of the 6th graders came as well, as they were the group who delivered these quilts. And of course my son ( a 7th grader) came, as he was in the first bunch of students that made quilts, well and also he is MY son

Specialist Kyle entered the Elementary Cafeteria to a standing ovation and took the stage. The kids had prepared about 10 questions to ask him. He was wonderful - he answered every question and had the kids amazed. He is one brave soldier. He is into year 3 of his 4 year term. He is 22 years old, and entered the military right out of high school. When his term is over he thinks he will probably go to college to become a teacher.

The class presented him with a gorgeous quilt rack, that another veteran had made especially for him. ( I want one!!) Another group presented him with a book. I think his mom might have had a tear in her eyes.

After the family left I got to tell the kids all about QOV, and how we would be making quilts again this year. These kids are SOOO excited. They had many many questions, and I think I might have been able to answer them all.

Then - school was over - I loaded my 3 boys up and went straight to Golden to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum. My youngest son was being interviewed by the newspaper. He wore a tie, and was a camera hound! We talked to the reporter a lot about QOV's and really tried to explain quilting in general to her. We were done around 6:30 and headed home. My Hubby was just flying in from chicago so we were able to meet him for a quick burger and looong drive home.

I tell you - after a day like that - although you ( okay me) are tired, your brain is still mulling over the events. I was so impressed by the young soldier that came to see us, especially about how he handled himself, how he handled his injuries and his attitude in general. He is 1 of 3 boys, all 3 are military as of this moment. I told you that mom is Amazing. I told my boys they will now live with me until the are 100.......
Hope you all have a quilty day!!


Vicki W said...

What a wonderful story!!

Kathy Wagner said...

What a great experience for you all...and how wonderful of you to honour this soldier!

Helen in the UK said...

What a fantastic story. I can understand why the kids are really fired up to make this year's QOV now. Keep up the good work :)