Friday, August 14, 2009

Quilt of Valor Sew Along Step 2


Step 2
This week we will be working on our 30 7 1/4 inch squares. You should have cut 30 Dark Squares and 30 Light Squares.
First - Take the 30 Light Squares and on the wrong side of the fabric draw a line diagonally on the fabric. I place my ruler on it, and use a light pencil to make the line.

~Next Lay the Light Fabric Square on Top of the Dark fabric square. Right Sides together. Then sew 1/4 inch on each side of the pencil line that you have drawn. You will then have a nice pile of 30 blocks with two seams on it.




Place your ruler on the line and slice the blocks. I kept them in their pairs as you will sew them again. If you will want a more scrappy look - don't worry about keeping the pairs together.
~






After you have sliced them all - take them to the ironing board and press them open.
~
Well - I have to tell the truth, I don't do them all at the same time. I did them in groups of 10 because I am easily distracted.


Questions:
Laura asked how many steps the quilt would be. Truthfully I am not 100% sure. There is probably 4 more steps in putting the top together. But you can't hold me to that - because sometimes I just don't know ;-) Plus I want to leave you in suspense as long as I can as to the identity of the designer.
Give Away:
This give away is my 2 1/2 inch strip bin. It is not large - but there is enough to make 1 or 2 more 50 x 60 quilt tops. They are all patriotic strips, in varying shades of Red White and Blue. And quite possibly it will grow between now and when I send it out. They would be a great addition to anyones 2 1/2 inch strip bin, and add some new variety!
~
How do I enter for this?
Leave a comment and a link to your blog. If you are participating in the QOV sew along - link to your post about it ( ify ou have one) If not just leave me your blog address - so that I can come and visit.
~
Leave a comment by Monday Night at 8 pm so I can do a random draw and notify you the next day as to where to send the strips to.
~
Have a great Quilty Weekend!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a blog that you could come visit. I guess I'm archaic now, being blogless and all. I love checking in to your blog though. Thanks for all that you do.
Terri S.

Andi said...

Not that I need more fabric, lol, but if the strips are already 2 1/2, they'll get used sooner! That's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)

Crickett said...

Ooooh! I've been wanting to do a patriotic colored quilt, to donate to just such an organization as yours! lol

So if I win, don't be surprised to get the whole kit and kaboodle back as a completed quilt!

Crickett Hutchinson

Anonymous said...

I would love to win your patriotic strips, my bee and I are making 22 quilts for an organization called Vet's House. It is a half way house for Vets. We are going to try to make their journey more comfortable, and they only request they had was to make them red, white and blue. No blog available.
Nancy B. Virginia Beach, VA

QuiltinTrucker said...

My blog is http://truckinquilter.blogspot.com and I would be delighted to win the strips! I will be starting this mystery this coming week and will be posting pics as I get the steps done!

Cheryl Willis said...

I rarely jump in for drawings mostly b/c I have fabric I need to give away myself. However, this time I can put your scrap strips to use. My church group is making RW&B quilts for the men at our downtown fire station. We have 12 pieced so far and hope for a total of 16. Your scraps and our scraps may just be the boost to get us to our goal. my original quilt blog crashed and it is taking me a bit to get in the habit of re-posting.
I am now at: http://ozarkcastle.blogspot.com/

Not trying to sway the drawing, but if I win, I would be glad to send a similar weight of pre-cut butterfly applique scraps to the address of your choice. (I always did wonder why the give-a-ways didn't get a bit more competitive- just kidding!)

Sherrill said...

Oh GOODY, more fabric to make donation quilts with! YAY! Count me in!!

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ said...

Please enter my into your drawing for your pre-cut 2 1/2" strips for another QOV. I love making these quilts and sending them to you and using your pre-cut strips would be an added bonus. I have no blog but check yours daily!

Miss Deb said...

Wow! 2 quilts worth of precut strips. That would be a dream come true. I would be glad to piece them quilt, and bind them and send them to the charity of your choice.

Thanks for doing this,

Deb

Becky said...

I'd like to enter the drawing too please! I'm not woking on QOV right now but i've got pics of 2 on my blog that got finished and sent via our base chaplian this summer.
http://auntbekky.blogspot.com/

charity-crafter said...

This looks like something I can actually finish. So far nothing tricky. And I really like you've included the yardage and scrappy so I can figure out what to use.

Bjwalsh101 said...

those 21/2 strips are just calling my name ...I know the are..I can hear them. No blog to link to, just a blog reader.