Monday, August 06, 2018

Churn Dash blocks and a tutorial

Back when I showed you this top....


 along with all of my churn dashes - there were a few comments and a bunch of emails about writing a tutorial for making Churn Dashes with 5 inch squares....

Well - I did better than that!!  The tutorial is by Missouri Star Quilt Company - and here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9i0FndQsco

1 - They use layer cakes - I cut up scraps into 5 inch squares
2. they add a little 2 1/2 inch square in the corner - I have no patience for that  ( Grin)


My dear friend asked me to make some 8 1/2 inch Churns for her - and I thought - Oh! I'll use this method and *gasp* do math!!!   Just so you know... math was a little harder than I thought this time!!

But I figured out the 8 1/2 inch ( Unfinished) measurements

Along with a lot of other measurements -
So - because I want to impress you with my Mathical skills.....

and show you all my attempts ( 2 and 4, 1 and 3, and 2 and 4 are the original MSQC Tute blocks)
the others.... they match the math below:






Ta Da!!!
So if you use the square size on the left
you will end up with an unfinished block size at the right


and the ones that are empty
I got tired.... but I will get to them too
Just based on the arithmetic pattern - I would assume that 2 1/2 inch will be 6 inches
and that 2 inches would be 4 1/2 inches - but again people
MATH!


And now!! I have another Churn Dash quilt in progress... who knows how these things happen??

linking to:
Design Wall Monday
Main Crush Monday
Monday Making

BOMS away

10 comments:

Ramona said...

Thanks for the information and taking one for the team by doing the math to make different size churn dash squares! :) Your quilt top is wonderful.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am not a math fan either -- but I do like your churn dashes a lot!

Nann said...

I kind of like the cutaway corner triangles.
But I'm curious why your friend wanted an 8-1/2" block. Is that the unfinished size? Hard to do thirds with an even number. I'd make 6" fin. and add strips around the edges, I think.

karenbbsnow said...

Love churn dashes! Your quilt top is great, and one of a kind.

Julie said...

I love the churn dash top. Thanks for the link and math. I have always wanted to do a varying size churn dash top, but it's not high on my list. I love the one using layer cakes though.

Kate said...

Those Churn Dash blocks are all fun. I've always liked the math side of quilting (till something doesn't come out the size it was supposed to be!)

Judy in Michigan said...

I'm a math nerd and I'm grateful that you figured all this out for us. I will keep this in my file!!! This chart is great for any 9 patch block!!! Thank you!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hey! Why isn't your Churn Dash quilt actually QUILTED yet?!? :P

Susan said...

Well, that was certainly fun! For us, anyway. =) Thanks for making a nice readable chart. I usually do 9" finished and never thought much about other sizes, but it's good to know because sometimes you need a filler block or strip of blocks!

Angie said...

You are so generous with your talents. Thank you bunches!