Sunday, December 17, 2017

At Arlington National Cemetary

When we last left our travel post...

We were at my Relatives Headstone.   We took our photos and then headed out again and saw two Marines.  Me, always curious, asked him what he was doing. He promptly told us to stay put - and lawsy mercy.... I am so glad he did!!

We were observers of a full Military Funeral. And although I did not know that Veteran - I will tell you that there was not a dry eye in my family.


When you look towards the procession.... is that not impressive?


This was really awe inspiring.
Watching all these Men give Honor and Respect to their fallen


it was amazingly quiet in this part of the Cemetary
and the music these Musicians played just sounded so amazing.



and along comes the Horse drawn Hearse
Cue Waterworks ( remember I don't cry much!)



Could you imagine it in another era?


I so LOVE Fall
and we missed it this year
So I created it myself ;-)



Isn't that just amazing?


I was so honored to Witness this funeral
I am sure those that live close or visit often may be able to watch a processional
but I was so amazed to be there
to hear the silence
to hear to horses
to hear the boots on the ground

16 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I have been to that cemetery and it is just overwhelming at the vastness of it and all the fallen soldiers. But for you to have witness in the realest manner ever, very sobering.

Donna said...

I have been to Arlington Cemetery and it is overwhelming! To see all those headstones and know each one represents a person who sacrificed for our country! It is hard to describe but the atmosphere was sad but calming to me. I am sure I would have bawled at the sight of the funeral procession! You have had some great experiences this year Alycia!

Beth said...

My fraternal grandparents and aunt are buried at Arlington. Our DD and her DH live just south of DC. She sent me a picture of them placing a Christmas wreath on their grave. It makes me tear up just thinking about it. How sweet was that?

Thanks for posting those pictures. It is VERY moving to see in person.
Merry Christmas!
Beth in AZ

Peggyinno said...

You were at the right place at the right time. Every American should have the chance to see this in person. It’s a great lesson on “respect”. Thank you so much for sharing.

Patti said...

Wow Alycia. You sure can tell & show a story! I'm moved

Sue said...

Great shots of honoring one who served our country.

Gypsy Quilter said...

My father had a military funeral, but it was not as involved as the one you got a chance to experience. Incredible. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Quiltdivajulie said...

My aunt and uncle are buried there (USMC and WAF). Thank you for your senitive yet profound photos.

Pat said...

Wow....very moving. Thank you for sharing.

Jo said...

That was so touching. Thank you to all that serve..

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Yes Arlington is a sobering place. Your beautiful photos and words tell a moving story.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that story and photos.

Farm Quilter said...

So incredibly moving. You were blessed to be able to witness the funeral procession and your tears were the only appropriate response! We owe so much to so few who are willing to lay their life on the line for us. My daughter wants to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery if she is killed in war (she is active duty Army) - I'm praying she doesn't achieve that honor!! You have reinforced my desire to visit there...soon!

Kate said...

Beautiful photos of such a great tradition.

Powell River Books said...

What an opportunity and to share in honouring the fallen. - Margy

Tom said...

...a solemn place, my Christmas wish is for peace.