Friday, November 04, 2016

Antique Quilt - Continued:

Remember the quilt I showed you Monday? Well!

We decided to do an all over on it -

One - because she really wanted the fabrics to shine - not the quilting.  and
Two - to help ease in the fullness without having to pleat anything ....

and so - I proceeded ;-)

This is it on the machine - the centers were pretty taught - but the edges got a lot rippley.....


I basted lightly so that I had some guideline, and then got to praying


I'm thinking the praying worked 
In the whole quilt I only had to take one little pleat, 
and after basting it closed - you couldn't even tell 


Here it is all finished - 
She thinks it will work well!

We used Quilters Dream Cotton Select
In our opinion this is a perfect Batting for these antique quilts
There is No scrim - so it is just soft and drapey
and doesn't wear against the old fabrics

And here is the back
You can see the quilting a little bit better
Added some Whimsey to it ;-)


Anddddd
Look what I found...

I have no idea what I will do with it - and of course there is NO flat on this either
but it looked lonely and so it came home with me...
Suggestions??


Linking to:

TGIFF
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Fabric Frenzy Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts

14 comments:

Judy V from Thornton CO said...

The quilt is just beautiful the way you handled the rippling!

For the second quilt, would circular rows (starting in the middle) of wishbone free motion quilting work? I have seen pictures of where the wishbones overlapped each other. A neutral variegated thread would be awesome.

Ariane said...

I love the quilting on your antique quilt. Such a beautiful quilt! The little one is sweet too. You could make it into a table topper in hexagon shape.

Jennifer said...

I agree with Ariane that it would be a perfect table topper and maybe spiral quilt it.

Cathy said...

The antique quilt came out beautiful!!! And I love the little orphan block. Great find!

travelinsewl said...

I too like your quilting. It looks like it would be easy to do.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nicely done, Alycia!!

Missy Shay said...

Wow, that could not have been easy to quilt, but you did a great job!

Kaja said...

Great job! It looks so good with your quilting, and I'm glad you didn't hit any nasty hitches along the way. The second piece is very pretty. Are you wanting to make it bigger or just use it as is?

Sally Langston Warren said...

Thank you for showing us how you quilted this antique quilt. It turned out beautifully! Your new-old acquisition is so pretty. I can see why you had to have it! I am sure you will finish it nicely!

Vicki W said...

I love, love, love that quilt! Reminds me of my Great-Grandma's quilts. Glad you gave it a new life.

Janice said...

I admire your courage to work on these quilts. For the diamond pieced top, my mom would advise you to starch and iron it as flat as possible. Then try quilting it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

SO happy to see the antique quilt finished and able to be used! The tiny diamonds one is so striking - perhaps a wall hanging just a bit larger than the current piece?

Andy said...

Such beautiful work with an antique feel.

Kate said...

You picked a great pattern to finish off that antique quilt. Beautifully done!