Saturday, January 30, 2016

February 2016 Scrappy Block of the month

Hopefully you all enjoyed the January Block and reduced a few scraps?  The direct link can now be found under the Free Patterns Tab above.

Ready for February?

We are again working with our 2 ½ inch strips – so pull some lights and darks and here we go:

Light                                                                                                     
1 - 2 ½ x 2 ½ inch square
1 - 2 ½ x 4 ½
1 - 2 ½ x 6 ½
1 - 2 ½ x 8 ½
1 - 2 ½ x 10 ½

Darks
Color # 1  (in this ex : Blue)
1 – 2 ½ x 2 ½ inch square
1 – 2 ½ x 4 ½
1 – 2 ½ x 10 1/2
1 – 2 ½ x 12 ½

Color #2  ( in this ex: Red)
1 – 2 ½ x 6 ½
1 – 2 ½ x 8 ½














I cut 5 at a time and stitched them together like a traditional Log cabin – starting with the white 2 ½ sq and the Blue 2 ½ square. Then Ironed to the dark and added the 2 ½ x 4 ½ Blue.

Continue adding your pieces until your block is 12 ½ inch square as below:




Enjoy!!!  And hope you are using some of those 2 ½ inch scraps!!!



This will work for more color schemes of course - a while ago we did some in Yellow and Blues - I have done them in Grey and Black - just whatever scraps I had hanging around - 








If you would like a Pdf file - I have listed it in my Craftsy Store ( for free)
AlyciaQuilts pattern store


PS - if you do make this block - consider making them, or a whole top and donating it to Quilts of Valor - to show our Veterans touched by war some love. You can find a list of Regional Coordinators at QOVF.org  under the regional coordinator tab.  

4 comments:

Karen said...

I love it. I am trying to use all scraps and this is a perfect block to make for using scraps. Thanks for sharing.

Judy said...

I have used this block to make a Quilt of Valor. You are right, they come together very fast and make a great looking quilt.

Kate said...

I remember seeing several quilt made with this block. It does make up nicely. Great way to use up strips.

Carlie N. said...

I like this block so much, I've passed it on to our QOV committee to get some more. Can't wait to see a layout.
Carlie N.